CB shop review (Grand Rapids area, MI)

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Evvy Thomas, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Evvy Thomas

Evvy Thomas Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2015
    NW Ohio
    After days of searching Google maps and hollering out for shops on route to various drops and back hauls, in search of someone who stocks Predator antennas, I hit gold by complete accident.

http://131cbradioshop.com/ just south of Grand Rapids, MI.

The owner goes by Bear and from the way he spoke he seems to adhere to the standards that most of the regulars here expect. He has the "watts don't mean squat if it isn't clean" mentality. And he refuses to sell or install noise toys and echo boxes, etc. And as a side note, he has a spectrum analyser on his bench.

His shop doesn't show up on Google maps so it was a matter of luck that, as I was sitting here in this little mom and pop truck stop, someone called out for him while I had my ears on. His shop isn't plainly visible from the TS.

But anyways, it gets better.

I asked him on the radio if he stocks the P10K double coil SW and he's out but I figure I'll go over there with my tape measure and try to find one under 5 ft. First thing I notice is the cherry 76 Cadillac Deville out front with a back seat big enough to host a small party. Inside is a nice clean shop with a good selection and a case full of cool, old vintage mics to boot.

I start measuring antennas and he realizes who I am and asks again exactly what I'm looking for. Then he pauses, hands me the keys to his caddy and tells me to measure the antenna he has in the trunk. I open it up and theres my antenna, installed on a behemoth tri-magnet roof mount... a shiny, P10K dual coil sw on a 9" shaft measuring in at 4' 11".... next to it, a vintage looking cobra (I didn't see the model) with a silver eagle stick mic attached to it. Cool.

I go back in and say "Cool, now I know what to order..." He says "Nah, I'll get it in stock. You take this one for $60 and bring it back to me when you come back up here. Dont break it, I want it back. I'll apply the $ to the new one..." How cool is that??

We talked a bit more and then shook on the deal.

Anyways, I just wanted to report on this place in case anyone gets out this way. I can't give any info on his tunes but he does seem to respect the band and shows a lot of animosity for the "crank it up and ship it out" type of techs that abound.

The End.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    91B20H8, stacks, TAfool and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. volvo244t

volvo244t Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    I have been by there numerous times and had absolutely no idea there was a cb shop until just note. Thanks Evvy.

Evvy Thomas Thanks this.
  4. Evvy Thomas

Evvy Thomas Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2015
    NW Ohio
    Definitely worth a visit if you get back up here. Not a huge store, but a good guy and a nice little shop.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.