CB shop white list.

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Carolina Thunder, Oct 15, 2009.

1. dtbradio

dtbradio Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2010
    That isn't an effective way to measure power. At best, it will be an estimate. That said, you have to either use a multimeter capable of reading 27mhz signals directly (i dont know of any), or use a rectifier/filter to obtain a smooth DC level from the RF signal, and measure that. You could also use an o-scope to measure the direct RF voltage, assuming you properly apply the 'scope's de-rating curve for the frequency you are measuring.

handlebar and Mad Dog 20/20 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mad Dog 20/20

Mad Dog 20/20 Heavy Load Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Skid Row
    Hello Dave, good to see an actual tech on the board.

muleshoe Thanks this.
  4. bre1979

bre1979 Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2008
    pasco wa
    Anyone do business with roadstar communications or roadstar188.com or maybe know a good cb shop in washington state

5. handlebar

handlebar Heavy Load Member

I do something similar to Dave's power metering. I've got a Bird with the appropriate slugs (geez, that's expensive to keep them all in calibration every year....) but I typically run my transmitter into a 50 ohm dummy load, then use a 100 MHz oscilloscope with a single tone (for AM) or dual tones (for SSB) into the mic input, and measure the peak power on the scope. Easy enough from there to calculate the RMS voltage, square the value, and divide by the impedance ("Resistance") of the dummy load. With fine enough resolution on the 'scope, that will let me compute actual power output down to within less than one watt -- and the scope display shows me whether or not it's overmodulated.

I'm using P=E^2/R, where P=power, E = voltage from the scope (using a high-impedance probe so as not to load down the output) and R= resistance of dummy load, typically 50 or 52 ohms.

Also save me from having to interpolate between the markings on the Bird's paper watt scale.

This is really nice when I'm dealing with power levels that are sub- 1/10th watt, like for QRP transmitters, where I'm generally only reading carrier RF.

Lotsa ways to do stuff if you understand what's going on in amongst, as my wife calls them, the "killiwigles" inside the radio :)

6. handlebar

handlebar Heavy Load Member

Like Dave says, it's hard to find an multimeter with an AC bandwidth that high up in frequency. Now a scope, on the other hand, can be had quite cheaply.

7. Silver Knight

Silver Knight Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2013
    lima, ohio
    I believe one of the best and most honest cb radio shops is the exit 99 on I 75 in ohio in the wind is awesome they have always been honest helpful and professional and are reasonable in price truck friendly also do an awesome job with custom stereo and wiring have a pull thru bay for bad weather work to

8. Southern Son

Southern Son Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Mt. Eagle T.N.
    Just in case it hasnt been mentioned...the old rdaio shop on top of Mt Eagle is no more, when the original owner died his son took over, his son passed away sevral months ago, so thers no shop at all in Mt Eagle anymore.

I've used that shop for years & service was hit & miss depending on who was working the bench, finaly learned to just let Jeff do the work & stay clear of the rest, probably not the worlds greatest shop but a lot of people realy liked the work done ther & its closing is somewhat the end of an era & a loss for the old school shops.

9. KW Cajun

KW Cajun Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Copperhead Road
    NOT a whitelist shop, by my evidence... Doug's Custom CB Radios (online website based in Terre Haute, IN)

I purchased a new Stryker 955HP from him last year, for a purchase price in the mid $400 range.
    I discussed a "Receive Upgrade" option that was listed on his Stryker 955HP webpage, as I wanted a unit that is very sensitive & great at receive capability (for a quality antenna setup). Unfortunately, my Stryker has the worst receive ability ever. Even the RF gain control came adjusted with a drastic drop in RF gain at the 90% of dial rotation (not a smooth gradual drop in gain thruout it's travel).

I pointedly asked Doug to explain what exactly he "does" for this "Receive Upgrade" option he offered. He refused to answer that, even tho he charged $20.95 for it (not including the seperate $30 "power-tune"), and sent me a $400+ radio that can't even receive as good as a $70 Cobra 29. He referred all of my problems with the radio to Stryker's warranty, and told me to send it back to them.
    Sadly, I later learned from others (experienced radio techs) that this "Receive Upgrade" option only applies to radios such as the Cobra 29, and not a Stryker.

I saw red flags from the beginning also. He had only 1 in stock and took my order by phone (name, address, CC# info) and after patiently waiting a week, I called him, only to find out he "mistakenly" shipped it to another buyer. Later he claimed these "honest mistakes" happen frequently.
    Sorry, I don't recommend Dougs Custom CB Radios,, not in the least.

Mad Dog 20/20 Thanks this.
  10. dbc

dbc Bobtail Member

Oct 21, 2013
    steel rod past away sorry to say gentry electronic also ebay seller in MI area say clear of him

11. dbc

dbc Bobtail Member

Oct 21, 2013
    steel rod he past away might be somebody different might be running shop

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.