CDL school loans

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by SHOJim, Jun 29, 2015.

1. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Hello,
    I am looking into getting a loan for CDL school. I know community colleges have financial aid ( not really an option for me need to get in and out pretty quick) so looks like a "mill" is way I will have to go. With that being said, do I go with personal loan through my bank, credit union? Interest rate through CDL school I have talked to is 18%. I have an excellent credit rating. Just looking for advice on best place to look.
    Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    At first glance that rate of 18% sounds very high. But it might not be that big of a deal if the school is cheap ($500-2000).

It wouldnt hurt to shop around, I'd start with the credit unions. Whatever you do, if you decide on a cdl mill company, dont rush into it without doing your research. No better way to end a career then starting with a bad company

SHOJim Thanks this.
  4. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    I am looking into 3 week schools ( like Roadmaster) $6995 for 3 weeks is insane. I did find Trainco in NW Ohio for $3995. Just have to keep on researching.

5. HorseShoe

Jun 29, 2015
    WOW! $7000 for a 3 week course at Roadmaster? I need to open up one of those

6. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    If you get Werner, TMC, Stevens, US Xpress or Covenant to hire you they pay
    $2g of tuition. Strings attached of course.

7. HorseShoe

Jun 29, 2015
    $700 in interest per year at the cheaper school. Which isn't too bad if you can pay it off like you said with the help of companies offering assistance.

8. Goldenfan

Goldenfan Heavy Load Member

Apr 8, 2013
    WI
    Have you looked at Millis? Another one is RE West in TN. They'd be cheaper than the Roadmaster deal. I thought there was another company in TN that had a school maybe it was Milan? or something like that.
    I think you've been thinking about driving longer than me but one thing I won't do is go to a mill.

SHOJim Thanks this.
  9. JOHNQPUBLIC

JOHNQPUBLIC Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Central New York
    A school I have been looking at, NTTS in Liverpool, NY, has Stafford Federal Loans available. Same program offered to people attending college. Ask them if that is an option.

SHOJim Thanks this.
  10. Broke_and_Hungry

Broke_and_Hungry Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Michigan
    If NW Ohio is an option, look into Northwest State Community College, they have federal student loans.

SHOJim Thanks this.
  11. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    Hey F150, everyone in my class at Roadmaster financed but me. A lot of them were upset as they felt like they were lied (seems common) to about the financing and whatnot but what it came down to is the total amount paid at the end of the loan being over $12,000.

Roadmaster is good at taking people with bad credit, from what I saw it's the "buy here, pay here" of trucking schools. Good for some if their credit is kaput but otherwise I'd find something else.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.