Changes Coming To Cellular Services

Discussion in 'Cellular - Voice - Data' started by STexan, Aug 8, 2015.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Maybe some have heard in the last 4 to 6 months about coming changes from major cellular providers. Seems the changes are about here, for better or for worse. Personally I like what I see coming rather then the subsidy/contract games they all play with customers ...
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...ne-contracts-end-discounted-phones/ar-BBluR6B

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Getsinyourblood

Getsinyourblood Road Train Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Retired. North Texas
    I think what you pay for service and phone will be easier to understand. I have a friend who told me is IPhone from Verizon was free. I didn't say anything.

4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Well let's just hope monthly plan pricing comes down SUBSTANTIALLY if we now have to pay full retail for equipment.

It look like truckers will have more sizable and sensible data plans as a result of this

5. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    I went to Straight Talk several years ago and haven't looked back. Pay $50 a month and that's it, love it

6. EndHatred

EndHatred Medium Load Member

Jun 9, 2015
    I hate AT&T !! .. A person can't call 411/information without getting at least 4 commercials! That stuff should be banned! After that the stupid automated machine NEVER understands what company/person you're asking for? And it connects you to the wrong number!
    I'll have "nun" of that anymore! This is for you AT&T:
    I
    .... 1323882395_shot_over_the_phone[1].gif

7. cuzzin it

cuzzin it Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    Same here, i will never do another contract.

EndHatred and Canned Spam Thank this.
  8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    If you don't do a lot of data (i.e. video and music streaming and youtube browsing, etc) Straight Talk or similar plans would be great for a lot of truckers.

I have no problem necessarily with a contract. I know I'm going to live that long, and I'll always need cellular service and I don't ever deal with the company except to pay online, and I know their service isn't going to get worse, and I know plans/phones aren't going to get cheaper, so what's the problem with a 2 year contract?

What we have to be careful of is them selling phones that have "limited technology" and may be "obsolete" in 18 months and they force you to buy another one if you want to be able to operate on network A. I can see them doing this as a means to keep selling phones [at retail]

EndHatred Thanks this.
  9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    The problem with 2 year contracts, is that my phones don't make it past 18 months. the model no longer exists, and you have to fight for a new model. only to have what's left of you existing contract added on to the new contract.

right now, my verizon contract is month to month,as of may, but i can't get a new phone till christmas. it overheats and now my screen is shattered. unless i want to pay full price, which is pretty high for the newer models.

i'm waiting for the prices to drop. i want to get a replacement on sprint that handles the new spark 4g, supposedly the coverage is better with the spark signal.

some of you like your straight talk plans. i pay sprint $60 a month for unlimited services. on a month to month deal. no contract. if i don't pay the phone gets shut off till i pay again. i've received collections notices. AFTER i've already paid the bill and turned service back on. i don't know why i get collections, sprint don't have my social number on the month to month deal. most of the time i'm where verizon will work. but i also have places i park where verizon is a no go. and sprint is.

EndHatred Thanks this.
  10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
  11. EndHatred

EndHatred Medium Load Member

Jun 9, 2015
    Here's the cheapest way I've found to have phone service with unlimited calls, unlimited texts, internet, camera etc on a month to month plan use Net10.at $40mo. Phone minutes can be purchased at almost any TS, any discount store like Walmart, Kmart, Target, Dollar General, Family Dollar etc and at every major grocery store. Minutes are either sold by purchasing a card or by asking the cashier to ring it up on the cash register. I've been able to make calls everywhere with just a few exceptions at a couple of shippers. They used to run on Sprint towers, now unfortunately they use AT&T so calling for phone numbers like I mentioned above is annoying, best to do a google web search for that. The phones aren't high tech blue-tooth, but can be purchased for only $10-$29 .:cool:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.