Clearing the air on CPAP

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by DOTPhysical, Mar 24, 2015.

1. CaliforniaJellyroll

CaliforniaJellyroll Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2015
    Yes, I have a question.

First, I have already been through a night time sleep study, which diagnosed me appropriately with severe sleep apnea/hypopnea. I have no problem with that. I went back to get a titration study done overnight, which they reported a setting that allowed me 0 obstructive events. Fine. I had a delay in getting the machine, but once I got it and had it set up right, I don't want to sleep without it. (I am fully compliant by choice.)

The problem is this:
    At my DOT physical at the chiro's office today, I was advised that I need a "Multiple Sleep Latency Test," and a note from this my sleep doctor, who I've never met, stating that I'm clear to drive a commercial vehicle.
    Okay, so I called and talked to the office staff. They reported that they don't DO that test. (I believe it's because it's done in the daytime, and they don't staff it during the day, but I digress.) This is the only place my primary care physician refers out to.
    So after calling my regular doctor's office, fuming that the office staff there refused to leave her a message (and told me instead to call the DMV for a list of sleep labs (???)), I just started calling out of the phone book.

But before I shell out of pocket:

If I've been diagnosed with sleep apnea/hypopnea, and I've been fitted with an appropriate device to correct the problem, why are they then making me do a test to "rule out" narcolepsy or idiopathic hypersomnia? Don't we already know what the problem was? Isn't it corrected? And why isn't that good enough?

Or is it good enough, and this chiropractor just doesn't know what he's supposed to do?

I used to be all for this compliance thing, until today. Should I just cough up another $70 and go somewhere else and not tell that I have a cpap and that I'm doing what I'm supposed to??

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    Reason for edit: readability
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CaliforniaJellyroll

CaliforniaJellyroll Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2015
    To follow up to my conundrum in prev. post:

I walked in to the VTEC exam center in Ripon, right by the truck stops. (VTEC stands for Valley Truckers Exam Center.) Decent movies playing in the lobby (Goonies, Karate Kid, caught the end of one and the beginning of the other). Waiting room was full, sat and filled out my part of the forms, a lot of waiting. .. but once in the back, did a quick urine test for specific protein and whatnot (not a drug screen), took weight, then met the chiro who did minimal physical tests (peripheral vision, thumb/finger squeeze test, push up and down with arm extended, turn head.. that was about it) and didn't ask me for a data card for the cpap or anything. Just said he could only give me a 1 yr. I said fine. That was it. He recommended I carry the card at all times, and I was outta there. $75. Well worth the "second opinion." I have to go in for some kind of review with the sleep doc before a year's up, but that's it. That's the difference when you go somewhere that sees 30 truckers a day vs. 1 trucker per month.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.