Cobra - Twice Bitten

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Call_Me_The_Breeze, Jan 10, 2016.

1. handlebar

handlebar Heavy Load Member

For years now (like at least 15), Cobra's factory (whoever it is this week) has been saving a couple of cents on each radio by only putting thermal grease on *one side* of the mylar (or mica, etc.) insulator between the collector mounting tab and the chassis element it mounts to (with insulated hardware.). While this will last awhile, eventually the increased heat buildup in the final(s) and driver will cause at least one of them to fail.
    It seems as if the production engineers have figured out how little grease they can get away with to let the transmit stage last until just out of warranty.
    I've also seen the same thing on brand new Uniden 880 and 980 that went across my bench.
    If it's not a fix a user is comfortable with, it's worth the minimum charge to have a *real* shop do this fix, and check the rest of the radio for proper operation, etc.
    I've seen this problem on way too many Cobras to be accounted for by just random chance. :(
    Hope that helps,

slim6596, skellr, Bout Z and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Call_Me_The_Breeze

Call_Me_The_Breeze Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2015
    And American manufacturers wonder why the Japanese are kicking their ### in the electronics markets...*smh*

4. ChetsJug

ChetsJug Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2014
    I hate Cobra too. I was 4 for 4 on dying in 12 to 18 months and pouring money down the toilet trying to work out the bugs. I finally had enough and bought a Galaxy DX-979 on a managers Christmas closeout table in the Santa Nella CA Petro for $70. I loved it so much I bought another 979 on closeout at the T/A in Amarillo for $139. I shed my life of Cobra and life is good again hahaha. Take a lesson from history and avoid the snake oil man!

And ifin yall dont realize im funnun yall. Youre just a sad Cobra owner:p

Call_Me_The_Breeze Thanks this.
  5. Xcis

Xcis Medium Load Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Bridgeport, Pa
    To the original poster, the Cobra model 18 is the only radio that I tell people to avoid like the plague. Sorry to say, but as a reference read the article at .http://www.cbradiomagazine.com/Feb 2007/The worst of the worst.htm
    .You will be better off kissing that piece of junk goodbye and buying a Cobra 19,25,29 or anything but a Cobra 18. Cobra 18's stink on ice. You have my sympathy.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  6. Call_Me_The_Breeze

Call_Me_The_Breeze Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Original poster here. Both of mine WERE 29s, not 18s LOL.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.