Comment on the Speed Limiter Rule

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by tucker, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I would like to make a much larger argument using the same logic, in the area of dispatch.

Cottonmouth85 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I wonder which one of their monetary contributors told them to say that. :rolleyes:

4. Yves kanevil

Yves kanevil Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Nighthawk
    Ontario and Quebec have had speed limiter laws for over 5 years now. Was honestly against it in the beginning but after having it for this long it's not a big deal it does not slow me down any more that before the law was there.

5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Ontario and Quebec though set the limit greater than the speed limit. As long as you follow the law anyway it will never be noticed. The USA is never that bright though. One of the problems the ATA has with the new rule is that is does not specify a speed, so no one knows if it will be good (higher than the speed lime which can be 80mph in places) or very limiting (55, cause well f-u)
    If we were to be intelligent we would make it more than 80, but then that would also be pointless too...

6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Eddy Vetter had a ' World Citizen ' shirt on last night at the ballgame. I'm an American. I don't give a good ####### it what the rest of the world does. You have to be a multi millionaire, and out of touch with reality to even grasp that concept.

Which two have the most untenable positions at the moment?

fargonaz and thejackal Thank this.
  7. Yves kanevil

Yves kanevil Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Nighthawk
    Have you been smoking the peace pipe today. What the fawk does Eddie vedder have to do with absolutely anything in this thread

8. thejackal

thejackal Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2014
    detroit mi
    Can I quote.use.plagiarize that? I love it!!

9. thejackal

thejackal Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2014
    detroit mi
    Got something against a peace pipe...other than your government doesn't have a clue what honor is?

10. Randall3

Randall3 Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I disagree with having speed limiters and eld's strongly because I don't believe for one second it has anything to do with safety. What I have seen in the trucking industry is this:
    Large carrier needs drivers, starts a driving school. Calls their students "Professional Drivers" because they have been through schooling ( which is funny because when you think about it, your not doing anything I cant have my 16yr old son doing in two weeks time). Not trying to be harsh, but I believe you will find the term "Professional Driver" is going to hurt you before it will ever help you. Honestly no one besides the driver themselves actually believe that... Think not?? Call your auto insurance agent and explain to them how you are a "Professional Driver", how you hold a class A cdl, how you have driven for the past 20yrs or how ever long you may have drove and managed to keep a perfect driving record, then tell them how you should be rewarded for your professionalism, I think you will find out just how much they care real quick! Make one mistake, and you will find out just how fast that "Professional" crap will bite you just as it was intended to do. Now, the carrier gets ins. breaks for speed limiters, adding eld saves time, money, to the carrier, but wait, they have a problem.. Many drivers don't want speed limiters or eld, so there goes the driver to a company that doesn't run those. In the name of "safety" large carriers, ATA, so on pushes for eld law. Law passes, whats a driver to do?? Go to work for the company with the fastest trucks, now in the name of "safety" once again lets have a law to make all trucks run the same speed! If the companies we work for actually believed we were these "Professionals" you all reckon they themselves would be pushing these regulations sighting safety as their reasons??

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    russtrucker Thanks this.
  11. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    ive said it before on other subjects and i will say it again, when you own your own truck and are forced to have a speed limiter installed then its time to call home the troops and accept they have wasted their time fighting for our so called freedoms. if you believe it has anything to do with safety well... your an idiot.

91B20H8 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.