Companies With all Peterbilt Fleets

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Mooch, Aug 31, 2009.

1. chief

chief Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Flavor Country, NC
    does Mooch's momma know he's thinking about playing "truck driver?" what difference does it make which company uses what kind of truck? if you're looking at buying a truck (for whatever reason, or no reason at all,) just go to a truck dealership, ebay, craigslist, or someone's front yard - there are plenty for sale. most trucking companies don't sell used trucks - they lease them from a dealer and then turn them back into the dealer when the lease is up.

Mooch and Pete_379X Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mooch

Mooch Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Mildew, OR

Thanks, I'm just kinda sniffin around for later on down the road. Thought some of you guys would be good for given me a line on where to look when I'm ready......In the mean time thanks to all of ya..... and please keep them coming, I've got a folder started so I can an eye on them. :biggrin_25514:

4. Peanut Butter

Peanut Butter Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2007
    PO Dunk Idaho
    I would take a Pete 379 EXHD anyday over a volvo, freightshaker, or intertrational, Kw W900L would be my next choice, As for companies that have them miller brothersexpress out of utah has a bunch to, seen they been getting them new frieghtshakers with no sunvisor, ICK is all i can say.

bamanation and Mooch Thank this.
  5. kwswan

kwswan Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2009
    mcminnville,tn.
    i second that. used to run to southwest ks. hauling cattle out of tn. with a couple of guys who thought the only ride out there was a 379. my t600 would get there just as quick as they would, not to mention the difference in fuel mileage.i am on my third t600 & i dont think a pete would give any better service than what i have had out of mine . just my .02 cents for what its worth.

ODR Thanks this.
  6. JW430

JW430 Medium Load Member

May 23, 2009
    Rocklin, CA
    I was raised a KW boy as my grandpa always had T600's and T2000's, then he bought a 387 and I was hooked. It's an aero truck but they are a classy truck if spec'd the right way, his is a 2008 387 w/ Cummins ISX 515hp + 13 spd, O/O Spec. He did go back to KW tho and bought a 2009 KW T2000 w/ Cummins ISX 550hp

7. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

:biggrin_25523: :biggrin_25523: :biggrin_25523:

I put 100,000 miles on a 379 last winter. I never did see the attraction!

striker and The Challenger Thank this.
  8. Mooch

Mooch Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Mildew, OR

Great info, and thank you sir!! And yeah Momma does know I'm eyeballin , and thinkin out loud(she knows when I do that it's somethin serious). Like I said earlier I'm gonna jump out of the seat for good in a couple three years, thought I might snag a decent used Pete and maybe do as little as them Triple R or whatever them guys down in Texas are doin with them high mileage trucks. You know clean it up, throw a little chrome, stainless, and polish on it and put it up for sale and watch all them young bucks drool. Grab a few loads when the cherries start droppin of the trees up here to help pay for itself during that season and whatever, be a hobby trucker. Or I don't know maybe do the real deal, and stretch one out, rebuild and customize it, kinda old school cool like those guys at East Coast Large Cars do. Only bring it out in the summertime, run it down to Reno if they still have that show during Hot August Nights, or even LA. Been ta both them shows a few times, they have some medium sweet rides show up. I think that would be fun. I don't know, gonna have the time, got the change layin around, got the place to do it and all. Thought maybe that would help keep me out of trouble with the old lady, and off her ahhhhhh....back all the time if ya know what I mean. :biggrin_25522::biggrin_255: Like I said this is just like a R&D thing, I might decide screw the newer ones and go grab one up around the mid 1960s, our maybe even grab one of the even older butterfly hoods. I still see one or two of them around in "decent" shape once in awhile. I know ya'all think I'm nuts, but..........well you're right I am, but what the hell ya only live once, and I like ta have a little fun. Well that would be fun for me, I know it'd be a lotta work, but not like real work. Besides I know if I did a decent job somebody would buy it, they're irresistible to some of us.

9. Jarhed1964

Jarhed1964 Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Charlotte, NC

Few years ago when I started at TMC, I was in total awe of the black 379's they had.... #### near scared of the size of that hood (I was a CDL grad noob)... then I stepped into one of their 387's..

:biggrin_2556:

Wasnt sure I liked the aero look, but when I saw how much more living space was inside, I was hooked. And as many problems as I've heard about the Cascadias, the aero makes sense with the push to save fuel, and the amount of space inside is a must. If I ever buy a truck (or simply return to the road), I'd *prefer* an aero with plenty of room inside.

10. statikuz

statikuz Medium Load Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Reno Nevada
    I have seen some Knight Peterbilts, some aero and some conventional:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mooch Thanks this.
  11. Mooch

Mooch Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Mildew, OR
    I thought they just used short hoods, but that top one looks like an extended hood, or is it just the angle of the pic? Naaa that's a hood ain't it? :biggrin_2556:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.