Company Evaluation Questionnaire / Spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by farmboy73, Dec 1, 2015.

1. farmboy73

farmboy73 Medium Load Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    After receiving feedback from several members, I have created a questionnaire to assist those who are researching companies. As I began my own research, I realized that this would be a useful tool to me. I hope it will be to you as well.

I could not attach an Excel file, so I had to print it into a PDF. If the moderators would like to make the Excel file available, I will be happy to provide it. (@d o g, @PackRatTDI, @MACK E-6)

This is a fairly comprehensive list of questions. Clearly, not all of them will be applicable. Pick and choose what is important to you. Hopefully, this will provide a memory jogger and also a tool for organizing your data.

Much of the information can be gleaned by searching here on The Truckers Report. The search box in the upper right hand corner is your friend.

Good luck! (Thanks to @Father Luke, @Chinatown, @IronWeasel80, @Redtwin, @avenger79 and others for your suggestions.)

Attached Files:

TRD, HarriotAndSamson, Redtwin and 8 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Father Luke

Father Luke Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2012
    The Streets of America
    Nice work. Thanks @farmboy73 ...even better than the Benjamin Franklin "Piece of Paper with a Line Drawn Down the Middle" technique.

In all seriousness, thanks for gathering the criteria, and putting it together in one place.

G13Tomcat and farmboy73 Thank this.
  4. Big Papaxx

Big Papaxx Medium Load Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Chicago, Los Angeles
    @farmboy73 nice work very legit. Absolutely a tool I would use..

G13Tomcat and farmboy73 Thank this.
  5. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    @farmboy73 great work, wow. This thread needs bumped and highlighted, maybe even stickied.

farmboy73 Thanks this.
  6. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    Excellent tool ! May I offer a recommendation....

Carriers are typically vague on many of these items. Applicants are told someone else handles that or I don't know etc. They know you won't like the answer so.....

I suggest a scoring system. Very simple too. Give the carrier say 100 pts and deduct for every negative or vague answer. Unknowns or side steps get the same as no. The applicant can assign the point value to each category based on their needs and wants.

There is another issue that needs looking at.....the carrier lying to you to get you in the door, also common. Here I suggest always interviewing a couple of drivers too. Find at least two in case you catch the company man. More if you can......

Lastly, I always looked at the drivers parking lot at the terminal. Carriers frequently segregate us into areas like parking, a drivers room and behind locked doors and windows. Your good eye will give you a strong insight into home time, wages and treatment based on what you see. It's there if you know what to look for.

Jumping carriers looks bad on an application, the driver is much better off making good decisions and to move slowly.

JMO...good luck!

7. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    What do you look for and why?.

8. farmboy73

Oct 23, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    Several have suggested that this be bumped periodically.

9. HarriotAndSamson

HarriotAndSamson Bobtail Member

Dec 9, 2015
    What company did you end up going with? I live in Kentucky. I am looking at getting my CDL's. I am researching schools and company's while studying the CDL manual on my own. I want to start out with box trailers then possible tankers. The problem is I am gonna run team. My team mate is making an XXXXX a year but team pay is split. I am trying to find a company where my team mate is not taking too big of a pay cut. Both of us still have to pay bills. We need the miles to at least net 1,600.00 a week. My team mate and I live together so we split the bills.

farmboy73 Thanks this.
  10. farmboy73

Oct 23, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    Good morning. As for me, I am still in the process of reviewing offers along with continuing to evaluate my overall strategy. Having said that, I am only focusing on flatbed at this point and have done no research at all regarding the team options.

@Chinatown will be able to give you some suggestions for companies to consider based on where you live in Kentucky. I wish you well in your searching. It can be a challenging process I have learned. Good luck!

11. HarriotAndSamson

HarriotAndSamson Bobtail Member

Dec 9, 2015
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.