Company won't pay me $11,000. What are my options?

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by Forever237, May 29, 2016.

1. Forever237

Forever237 Light Load Member

May 29, 2016
    Hi, Everyone. I started driving truck pretty recently, from December, 2015. Worked at a company (I'll report the name right after i'm done with them) for 5 months and informed them that I'll be leaving in a month. We had pretty good relationship with the owner of the company and sometimes i'd wait a month for a paycheck. As a newbie in this business, i was naïve to think that he would be same when i was leaving. So, since April 2, 2016 I accumulated $11,000, and as a deal, i left the company in mid May.
    Since the mid April till I left I constantly tried to make him pay in friendly manner, he was delaying it and last week we got serious talk. He threatened me for a physical abuse.

What are my options?
    I can prove a lot of illegal practice (company deliberately makes you violate the logbook, gives you orders that physically impossible to drive during legal allowed hours, asked me to toss all logbooks after i came from trips).

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    So whats the reason he does not pay and what's the reason he threatened you with physical abuse? Why did not you quit right after you found out about log books, but kept working instead, accumulating all those money?
    Reminds me of Yelp restaurant reviews:" I have been coming to this restaurant for years, food was fabulous and the owner was a sweet heart. But this one time, they brought me eggs, which were sunny side down, instead of up. That ruined my day, this restaurant is garbage and I won't be coming here again. Here you go, 1 star".
    What was the reason for you to quit?

TequilaSunrise Thanks this.
  4. nutcase

nutcase Light Load Member

May 2, 2010
    Meridian, ID
    From your post I am assuming you were an employee. The solution is simple, you take him to court. Employers must pay employees without exeption. As long as you can prove you did the work there shouldn't be a problem. You should probably contact your state department of labor and find out if there are certain procedures you should follow before filing a lawsuit.

Also, visit the guy one more time and see if he'll pay you. If he says he'll pay you by a certain date, ask him to put it in writing. If he refuses don't threaten to kick his ### or anything else. Just walk away. The law is on your side.

5. Forever237

May 29, 2016
    Thanks for the response. Yes, i was an employee.

6. Jazzy J

Jazzy J Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2015
    georgia
    Judge Judy

sh333 and dngrous_dime Thank this.
  7. Forever237

May 29, 2016
    From mid april I constantly asked him to pay. He was delaying it, saying he has not yet got paid for the jobs i made. So, till last week i was out of my patience and told him that he needs to pay on friday. He got agitated and started calling me names and threatened to break my jaw (he asked to meet one on one).

8. barwick

barwick Light Load Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Manning,SC
    Who are they? Chances are some.of us are familiar with the company. Also this is a great place to "warn others"!

9. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Let me guess, is the owner Albanian or Serbian?

10. Forever237

May 29, 2016
    Its a small company, based in Chicago. He (the tough owner) opened it on the date i was hired and it mostly operates or hires drivers through acquaintances. I will put the name of the company once the issue is resolved or most probably when the company gets shut down.

horsecrazychic22 Thanks this.
  11. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    You need proof he owes you the money. Log books, run sheets, bol's, pod's all documents to support your claim.
    On Tuesday when the court house opens I would be the first one at the door to file a claim. Not sure if you can use small claims for that amount. I think in Wisconsin the limit is $10,000 not sure what limit is in Illinois.
    This will show your employer you mean to collect what is yours.
    If you go to his office to give him copies of this court action take a friend or better yet go with an attorney.
    Tell him in a friendly manner you just want what is rightfully owed. Nothing more, nothing less.
    You might hint that in a court of law all these other issues might come out in the laundry list.
    No threats.
    I think an attorney could phrase it in such a manner that he would understand fully what is about to happen.

Log book violations can be issued to you the driver and the company. Why did you continue to operate falsifying records of duty, you will be asked. It is a two way blade!

He might be waiting for the shippers to pay him, but that should not be your concern. If he hasn't paid you, did he pay the payroll taxes that were due on the wages.
    Good luck

T_Bone Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.