Con-way freight ltl memphis tn

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Dcrobt72, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Dcrobt72

Dcrobt72 Bobtail Member

Oct 30, 2014
    They have a very big turnover rate for drivers. They tell you that you will be hired as a driver for linehaul or city and put you on the dock for 3-4 years and on the file board. You have to call in to get your start time. I heard mostly lies and tried to get a transfer so I could drive and met with a ton of resistance and then they tried to discipline me on anything they could think of. Stay away from con-way unless you want to consistently be lied to.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Backhauler

Backhauler Bobtail Member

Jul 20, 2015
    I only lasted 29 days with them. For that period I was towed in 2 times, road service 3 times and hotel for 3 days. Found out that the truck fuel system had algae throughout the entire system. Wonder how long this truck was setting up and why it was never check before being assigned.
    Required a major repair but company told shops just to replace filters. 4 times? Offer to put me on waiting list for another truck then offered me a truck when I gave them notice, that they didn't have. Companies who do not take care of the fleet are asking for trouble when they put the driver and public in danger. And like so many others they wonder why they have a high turnover and unable to keep safe drivers.

4. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    I thought about them a while back, until I heard you mostly work the dock, start out working split shifts, 4 hours at a time, and a few other things.

5. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    It sounds like you are talking about Con-way Truckload, which is an OTR division of the company....The OP is referring to Con-way Freight, an LTL division.

6. snowlauncher

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    Not sure about other service centers, but I think it's the standard with Con-way that when you are first hired you are extra board, which means you will fill in for all driver positions/shifts when needed. This includes the dock. Each year all positions go up for bid and are awarded based on seniority....so yes when you are low man you will be extra for however long it takes for you to bid a set start time/position. They told me this upon hiring. BTW the hourly pay scale is the same for a driver, whether assigned to the dock or on a p&d route.

7. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    This is an old thread but ya after reading it I am thinking he is also talking truckload... If he was talking about Conway freight breaking down isn't a big deal because you start getting paid by the minute...

TruckDuo Thanks this.
  8. The Patriot

The Patriot Heavy Load Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Greenville,Ohio
    Dock work??!! No way...that crap is for kids...not professional drivers.
    Are they union?

9. snowlauncher

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    Con-way is non union. It's unique from other LTL companies in that almost all driver's spend some of their time on the dock...they are paid hourly for their time, making the same wage as when driving. Linehaul is pay per mile plus hourly for dock work. IMO it's actually not that bad and you can make well above average income with most CDL bids within the company.

10. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Con-way has some yards that are now Union

TruckDuo and skinnytrucker Thank this.
  11. wndrwtr

wndrwtr Light Load Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Texas
    Conway has been purchased by XPO Logistics

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.