Con Way Truckload

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by AspiringTrucker, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Drop'n'Hook

Drop'n'Hook Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2008
    SE Louisiana
    Do the truckload drivers have to slipseat or are they assigned trucks and where are most of their loads at and go to. Thanks and be safe.:biggrin_25525:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. slodsm

slodsm Light Load Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Tyler TX
    Assigned trucks all the way.

And as far as where you go, I covered Mass to Fla, Washington to SoCal, and every state in between. The only three state I never touched with them were Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. You will go EVERYWHERE lol.

4. Drop'n'Hook

Drop'n'Hook Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2008
    SE Louisiana
    Thanks man i really appreciate your help. Be safe.:biggrin_25525:

5. ScooterDawg

ScooterDawg <strong>"The Blue Tick Lab"</strong>

Nov 23, 2008
    Trinity, NC
    Can anyone tell me about the company provided CDL schooling..... if any?

Thanks

6. ScooterDawg

Nov 23, 2008
    Trinity, NC
    CaptK -

Thanks for the info. I can't PM yet because I don't have 50 posts, but I did receive yours.

Christine (the recruiter who handles newbies) is out of the office until the 15th, and no one else there has information they are comfortable with sharing, so I guess I will have to wait until then.

Thanks for the info, and good luck on your adventures. PLease stay in touch.

7. slodsm

slodsm Light Load Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Tyler TX
    What do you need to know about it?

I went to Central Tech in Oklahoma for Conway. I have to say it was probably the most professional training I could have ever expected. I taught aviation maintenance in the Marine Corps for 2 years and I critique EVERYONE when they speak (I was an instructor evaluator, it's a bad habit I can't break) and these people were spot on. You could tell they knew 100% of the time exactly what they were talking about, they didn't have nervous ticks, no need to say "um" every third word because you weren't familiar with the material, no pacing due to nervousness, no hand in the pockets, no nothing. Just good instructors with plenty of experience and a great course.

Hell by the time I graduated, I had driven in rush hour in Tulsa both morning and night, ice and snow, loaded and empty, and backed around the entire !##$% course at Drumright because my instructor told me I couldn't do it with no pull ups.

Made me extremely confident (not ####y) and ready to roll when I hit CFI. I couldn't have asked for better training.

Better miles yes lmao, but not better training.

ScooterDawg and andrew5184 Thank this.
  8. ScooterDawg

Nov 23, 2008
    Trinity, NC
    Talked to Cody and Shonda at Conway today. Presented some great information. Also talked to a friend today that knows a lot about Conway. Sounded like a good deal, including information about Crowder.

Very tempting.... waiting to hear from Christine (will be back in the office on the 15th). I'll let you know what I find out

9. captK

captK Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Lynchburg, VA
    Cool deal, Scooter!

CaptK

ScooterDawg Thanks this.
  10. ScooterDawg

Nov 23, 2008
    Trinity, NC
    Yeah, I'm rather tickled :?)

11. captK

captK Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Lynchburg, VA
    Best I can tell, as a new/student driver with them, it is allllll about your background i.e driving record, work history/references and the lack of criminal background to get the good opportunities to start your career with them or to go through one of their schools.

I am itching to get to boot camp, leaving on a jet plane on Sunday to start on Monday morning. Yeeeehaaaaaaaaw! The plane ticket only cost about 75 bucks more than the bus ticket, so I will be reimbursed for what the bus ticket would have cost and will make the trip about 24 hours more quickly if all goes as planned.

It's pretty amazing that after only a little over a week after getting my CDL, I have this kind of opportunity AND in this economic environment. If the miles are a little light to start, I can deal with it and will take the opportunity to learn all the stuff that I did not learn in school.

Read all you can on the company and drivers sites during the wait for the recruiter to return from her vacation. It is very educational and enlightening!

Best to you, :biggrin_25525:
    K

chaser1, venne and ScooterDawg Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.