Connex 3300 in a kw t680..

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by DrummingTrucker, Jul 10, 2016.

1. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    I made my own dash mount with a plastic cutting board,cb mount and mounted on the qualcomm arm that was already on my dash..I found it blocked my line of sight with fender mirror..
    I have seen the nig square dash mounts for fl online..Thought about it but that means ill have to leave it there when i get outta the truck..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 6.9idi

6.9idi Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Higginsville, Missouri
    i know this post is from a few months ago but i did a little write up awhile back on how did my connex 4300 here is how i did it and some pics. Hardest part is running the wires. I look out the little Sun visor In the middle measured out the holes I took my bracket for my connex and bought one of the cheap adjustable brackets from the truck stop got some future super glue and a roll of electrical tape. Glue just the flat piece from the adjustable bracket to the top of the bracket for your radio I put quite a bit on it clamped it together for about 5 minutes then wrapped it in electrical tape as tight as I could get it. One it helps hold it together and also helps hide that you Glued brackets together. Then used the screws from the visor and tightened it down its sturdy and tight doesnt vibrate or shake. Then to hide wires and coax is a little tricky you have unscrew the visor clips take the curtain track down on the driver side take out 3 screws under it take out 3 screws holding the black tray In In the cubby hole Then you can see a metal cross bar you get to get the wires under it and pull Then out behind the windshield and plug Them in to the radio. Then put everything back together all total took me little over an hour with some cheap supplies from truck stop.

Attached Files:

DrummingTrucker and mike5511 Thank this.
  4. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    When you say the factory antenna system isnt anygood are you referring to swr, transmit range or both, because there is a possibility I may be moving into a new one, and if the stock antenna system is crap it looks like the only place to run alternative setup would be on passenger side spot mirror.

5. 6.9idi

6.9idi Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Higginsville, Missouri
    I have a 579 myself and have No problems with swr receiving or transmitting I'm using the factory antenna mounts running Francis antennas my swr is below 1 on every channel Pete did these antenna mounts right unlike freightliner each mount on the 579 has 2 ground wires going to It. How ever I do suggest using different coax. I have had my truck a year now and I replaced coax about 3 months ago. I am now just running off the driver side antenna.

6. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Im doubtful your getting a 1 swr let alone less than 1 that i KNOW your not getting..
    Swr is not overly important anyway..

7. 6.9idi

6.9idi Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Higginsville, Missouri
    well sir i am if i had a meter with me i would hook it up and take a picture and show you what my swr's are and swr is very important

8. DrummingTrucker

DrummingTrucker Medium Load Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Wow, I forgot about this thread lol I actually moved into another truck that had a radio already installed, so no worries now. But Ty to everyone for the advice!

9. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Haveing a low swr means nothing more than makeing your radio happy with little to no reflected power..Doesnt mean your ant is at or near resonance,doesnt mean its getting better than a few miles range...Who ever told you swr is REALLY important its time for them to hit the books..

10. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    You mentioned the 2 ground wires,tell me their purpose??
    Im not tryin to #### on you but i have been learning and there is soo much mis information.

11. 6.9idi

6.9idi Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Higginsville, Missouri
    here you go i hooked up my galaxy real quick and got a swr reading off of it since a connex doesnt have a swr meter. galaxy doesnt go below 1 but its keyed up and it didnt move a bit. and why wouldnt swr be very important if your swr's are off the chart and you keep talking on it you can and will burn up the finals i never said they are the most important thing about a radio but they are important at the least. i dont know about you but i dont like to burn up radios. and the setup i have currently using the factory peterbilt mount only on the driver side with my own single coax ran to my radio i can get out about 10 to 15 miles and i can receive farther than that.

Attached Files:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.