Considering CTL - any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Miles Ohio, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Miles Ohio

Miles Ohio Light Load Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Dayton, OH
    I searched the forum and found some good, and some not so good, posts about CTL, but they all seemed to be at least a couple of years old.

I spoke with a recruiter today about their Cincinnati-based regional position. It sounds good.. hire straight from CDL school, $100/day while training, and guaranteed $1125/week once I get my own truck. Home every 3-5 days. I can't imagine a freshly hatched driver making that much with dry vans or reefers.

Does anyone have any recent dealings with CTL? Any insights would be appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    1125/week real good

4. CHHALL3

CHHALL3 Light Load Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Augusta, GA
    I worked for them locally in Tampa 1998-1999, home daily. 4 loads a night, $100 a night, 2.5 it would take round trip per load. Newbies start at night, which I did not mind as less traffic. I checked into them again in 2012, the pay is the same. $500 a week in 1999 was barely making it, for 2015, can't live on it. Slip seating, which means you share the truck with another person. If you are over the road, the truck is yours to care.
    If they do indeed pay $1125 weekly, get in in writing because most starter trucking companies don't pay that much, realistically $700-850 a week for rookie drivers. Still comes out to over 35000-40000 yr.
    Check GLASSDOOR website on this company for your location and see if any reviews from current/former drivers. Just like you would do research on a new car, check other sources and hope they are legit & honorable on the salary.

Let us know if you do indeed get that much if you accept the position.

Miles Ohio Thanks this.
  5. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
  6. Miles Ohio

Jun 5, 2015
    Dayton, OH
  7. 2jz-gte

2jz-gte Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Ctl is comcar. Same as ccc ct and i cant remember the other lol. I highly doubt its 1100 or even near that. Prob closer to 800 avarage.

CHHALL3 Thanks this.
  8. Miles Ohio

Jun 5, 2015
    Dayton, OH
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I was skeptical about the pay too, $1125/week seems a princely sum for a new CDL graduate, even for tankers. I talked to the recruiter again today though and they assured me that it is accurate. Of course you don't earn that until you have completed their training (3-4 weeks) and go solo.

I suspect that a large percentage of their new hires wash out during the training program.

Here is their latest ad if anyone is curious:

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/trp/5109436945.html

CHHALL3 Thanks this.
  9. 2jz-gte

2jz-gte Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2015
    My trainer claims on avarage he makes 1100 a week.......as a trainer lol. We did 4 loads today at 50$ a piece not including untarping pay

10. FLFrenchie

FLFrenchie Bobtail Member

Sep 11, 2009

Working for them in 2009 was an experience indeed. Its a starter company, and for someone to start with tankers with the goal of van or other doesn't make sense. When I was there the pay was minimal and the miles low. It didn't change much even after a year. But I owe starting there to now be more happily self employed as a lease operator with vans....so much nicer, cleaner and safer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.