Constant tone on 27.265 LSB

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by lilillill, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    It's either in the radio, which is my guess, or as Dusty said, nearby electronics.
    Just out of curiosity here, have you tried hooking a different antenna to it? Have you checked the SWR of the antenna to the radio?
    I'd start by putting a meter on it to check the SWR. If that is off, you could be getting a feedback into your receiver. Although that shouldn't happen unless you are actually transmitting. But start your checking with the antenna.
    If all else fails, can you lock out the problem frequency on your rig? If you can't, or if doing that is something you can't live with, I guess taking it to a tech is the next step.

DustyRoad Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    After listening to this again, I think it could be coming from an outside source.
    Does the radio do this everywhere, or just where you happened to be parked?
    Is this something that just started?
    Is this a new radio?
    Or a new installation of a radio you've had for some time?
    Is this a radio that has worked well for you in a different vehicle?

4. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Yes, it does it everywhere. And I guess I just noticed it after I figured out that I could set upper and lower bounds of freqs to scan. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a function to lock out a certain freq.

And yes, it is a new radio (RCI2970-N4) as well as my first SSB radio. I just went through the whole truck and powered down every electronic thing, including my reefer unit. The only two things with power were the radio, and the truck ECU.

Like I said earlier, disconnecting the antenna makes the sound go away. So I'm guessing that it's either the ECU or the antenna is picking up something internal in the radio.

Something else to consider... the antenna is resonant at 27.265.
    2016-10-24 15.40.08.jpg

DustyRoad Thanks this.
  5. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Just for ships and giggles, I stuck a longer whip on that's set 1 mhz lower... still picks up the tone plain as day.

6. DustyRoad

DustyRoad Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico
    I used to get loops that picked up engine ECM radiation. From what I see, the antenna is part of an RF loop and it may be due to a ground problem. Note: the tone is absent when antenna is removed. I would look at the pwr supply connection, check for ground loop, a choke may be needed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choke_(electronics)

lilillill Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If that is the case, what happens when someone strips a microwave and uses it to push 10,000 watts against a big truck at 70 mph hauling hazmat?

8. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    According to this website:http://www.cbradiosplus.com/mobile/...www.cbradiosplus.com:80/product_p/2970n4.htm=
    The radio does have
    Of course that could be either a misprint or a mistake.

lilillill Thanks this.
  9. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Anyone get a constant annoying noise on channel 11. It sounds like a generator and is present 24/7 whether the truck is on or not. I know channel 11 is the little bowl, so I wonder if some big operator is trying to jam it, but it is also there whn skip isnt rolling

10. DustyRoad

DustyRoad Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico
    What you are talking about....A rail gun!
    upload_2016-10-24_21-14-52.png

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Actually, I get annoying noise on almost every CB channel. It's mostly from the CB Rambo's.....

91B20H8, lilillill and fargonaz Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.