Coolant hose at the engine air compressor

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by robertom224, Aug 25, 2016.

1. robertom224

robertom224 Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Recently the hose by the engine air compressor star to leak, any idea what is the issue..... Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Mine started to leak on a 3406E. Had to call road device. I told them to bring to both hoses. They did a R/R and I was back on the road. Beats frying the motor. 4 hours labor plus the parts.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. Transtar4070B

Transtar4070B Bobtail Member

Oct 13, 2011
    If you;re running a Cascadia with a DD13/15 the Air Compressor uses plastic cooling lines. Over time they get hard and crack/leak. Better get fixed before it actually blows out and you dump your coolant.

5. SLCTrucker

SLCTrucker Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Salt Lake City UT
    Yep 2 coolant lines, they just clip onto the fittings back there, they are cheap to buy but a pain to replace, just do them both at once.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. 1fixitman

1fixitman Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2016
    Year make model truck what engine?

Dino soar Thanks this.
  7. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    some people don't put original lines back. they change fittings and install silicone hoses.

Rideandrepair and shatteredsquare Thank this.
  8. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    That would explain a bad leak on a cold day that randomly stops on its own when it warms up. Couldn't tell where it was coming from when everything is wet but now that it's dry there's pink icing all over the compressor head, concentrated around two small hoses right next to each other. They both look like metal fittings though, it's rubber hose into a metal sleeve and a metal nut.

Rideandrepair and uncleal13 Thank this.
  9. wolfo68

wolfo68 Bobtail Member

Apr 25, 2020

there are two larger hoses one the outside, those are the problem pieces. One from the block that is basically a 90 degree piece, and a common failure. The second runs up to a T fitting above the air lines. Crawl underneath and take off the power steering pump for an easier time to replace them.

10. GR8SONG

GR8SONG Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2023
    I have a 2012 M2 with DD13 and Allison 3000. It has the same coolant leak at around air compressor and fuel filter housing area. For my other M2 with DD13, there's this long plastic black coolant line running from water pump to the air compressor. (When you change it, always ask for an updated one wherever available. Even a rubber one is better than plastic one. A metal one is the best.) But on this truck, there is only one short one running from the bottom of fuel filter housing to the air compressor. Replaced it, and coolant still leaks in that area. Will replace the freeze plug at the back of air compressor and see.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.