Cost of showers/ laundry at truck stops?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Electric_Hyena, May 30, 2011.

1. plentygood

plentygood Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    USA / CANADA
    Okay . . . I think I might need to poke out my minds eye now!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mileena

mileena Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Oakland, California
    TA now costs $12 for showers. Ugh.

Last time I used Pilot in 2010, it was $10. Disgusting though.

Sometimes I wait till a trucker leaves the shower, then I go in before the attendant cleans it.

4. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Best shower rooms in the country?

Little America.

They cost $10.

They are much larger than any others.
    You get, instead of a towel or paper floor mat (or none at all), a large shag rug.

And to top it off...
    Each 'shower' room includes a garden bath tub.
    (Means... big enough to sink down into!)

5. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    i leave my box of washer sheets open in the closet all my clothes smell good. Last time i was off i saw they have laundry gel packs now like you use in your dishwasher. Please dont ever take regular laundry detergent down the road Rule 76 states if it can open and spill it will

6. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I use the Purex 3-in-1 sheets.

Nothing to spill, and the softener sheet is already there.

7. samurai

samurai Heavy Load Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Fairborn, OH
    that is slightly gross. so basically you are stepping on wet pubes of the driver that was in there before you.

8. truckermario

truckermario Road Train Member

Sep 24, 2006
    I've seen a couple Flying J's with terminal readers for the washers and dryers where you can swipe a credit card instead of carrying around quarters.

9. nicholas_jordan

nicholas_jordan Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2012
    temple texas
    I always expect two - three dollars maybe 2.50 to 3.50 and carry $5 into the terminal + towels are provided and area is kept clean enough to do what is needed, maybe soap but I always carry wash-rag, soap, shampoo and extra towel to have it if wanted & laundromat or washer of some kind is very common, plus area to sit while laundry runs = very routine, best is to sit in the tv area for an hour at nearest to get an idea, you ask for the shower at the counter where you pay for things

10. Russjac

Russjac Light Load Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Las Vegas
    I thought you basically got a free shower every time you fueled, from what I read in other posts.

As for the conditions of showers, I take it a lot of you never played high school sports, went to a community pool or went to camp. When I was in camp, we used a dormitory shower with unfinished concrete floor with the whole camp spitting and urinating on the floor. They cleaned it once a week by pouring bleach and hosing it out. And showers were manditory. If I dealt with that, I can live with some pubes.

Also, how long can you be in there. I have a garden tub in my apartment for some reason, and it takes close to an hour to fill up.

Finally, I would worry more about the washing machines then the showers, somebody's critters can be transfered by a nasty washer or dryer.

11. mileena

mileena Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Oakland, California
    I agree, but it is no different than using a shower at a gym. In fact, it is better, because they only clean gym showers once a day. And I have flip flops I wear in the shower.

Plus it beats having to stand outside for hours begging for a shower pass from truckers. I offer them $5 for a shower pass. Usually the answer is no. Most don't have spare passes as they use them themselves. It gets tiresome and depressing. And on Easter Sunday, it was horrible, as there were very few truckers. I offer $5 to show I am serious and because a trucker told me the shower wasn't worth $12 when he gave me his pass. He drove only locally, so he had spare passes.

Also, I have seen more than a few husband and wife tandem teams use the same shower.

I've been thinking of bribing the attendant, usually Mexican (I speak some Spanish), to let me in for $5, but if he or she says no, they could report me too and I could be kicked out forever.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.