cross state suspension

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by ritchlt, Jun 10, 2015.

1. ritchlt

ritchlt Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2015
    My son(a Mass resident) got a 7 month suspension of his license for "refusal" in his private vehicle, in NJ. Now Mass DOT is suspending his cdl for a year. Is this legal. The laws covering DUI and refusal in NJ are vastly different. I understand reciprocity but can they change the sentence imposed by another state. He is working in Texas and wants to appeal it. Is it worth the trip back, does he have any legal standing. He is looking to have the cdl suspension match the non-cdl.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    otherhalftw and not4hire Thank this.
  4. jimbobillybob

jimbobillybob Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2011
    CT
    From what I understand in N.J. refusal is an automatic license suspension.

I know this because one night 2 women in a Mercedes tried to drive under my lead trailer when I was going about 65,she drove under the trailer and my right rear wheels caught the back of her car and spit her back out.
    They were both lucky,the passenger said they didn't see me.

I don't mean to judge anyone but a CDL holder should never ever be in that situation,unless of course he or she is very weathy.
    I started driving in 80, bought a truck in 85 and quit the drinking in 86,my dog,kids and wife depend on my license.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  5. 315wheelbase

315wheelbase Heavy Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    most state will not let him get a license,,Mc Donalds will hire him and he can ride the bus,,

6. teqntexas

teqntexas Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Ft. Worth Tx.
    i wouldn't worry @ what the states do, i'd worry @ what potential new employers think or do when they ask him on the application "have you ever refused a drug or alcohol test, please explain."

7. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    If your cdl is suspended in one state it is automatically suspended in ALL states, nothing he can do about it until the NJ suspension is lifted, been there done that over a supposed failure to appear in NY for a DOT violation (citation was dismissed but clerical error at the court said it was not), cost me several thousand ($5,500 to be exact) and about two weeks out of the truck to straighten it out! Plus, as said above, he is going to have a tough time getting a new job in this industry, the industry looks at refusal to test just like the state does, automatically guilty.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.