CTL Transportation new hire experience 2016

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by I'm not a robot, Jul 14, 2016.

1. GoldenLad

GoldenLad Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2016
    That's good to know. That window has to help. I'll be OTR too. A 'system driver', whatever that is, out of the little Sterlington, La terminal.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. I'm not a robot

I'm not a robot Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Charleston, SC
    A "system driver" is out at least 14 days and gets payed 45cpm.

If for whatever reason you want to come home in less then 14 days, you'll be payed 32cpm......

This is how it is for new hires out of Savannah, GA.

4. GoldenLad

GoldenLad Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2016
    .32 cpm.... Unreal

5. I'm not a robot

Jul 29, 2015
    Charleston, SC
    ......I know.

I just learned of this today. Not bad though if you plan on staying out for weeks like I will.

Oh and system pay increases to 47cpm in 6 months and 50cpm at 1 year. Remember these are all miles, empty including!

CHHALL3 and GoldenLad Thank this.
  6. I'm not a robot

Jul 29, 2015
    Charleston, SC
    Day 4 of Orientation

All we did on the last of orientation was practice coupling/uncoupling and blindside backing into a spot.
    ................................thats it.

Half the time we were sitting around. The other guy left, who was 55 years old, failed to mention his prescription medication he was taking 6 months earlier and was detected in the hair follicle test. He had to make calls all day long to his doctor back in Atlanta to send the info to the Tampa clinic...............

Seems like no one in our class was technically hired.

Wells thats all for orientation.

GoldenLad Thanks this.
  7. GoldenLad

GoldenLad Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Guess I better bring a Dr's note about my old meds Monday.. Thanks for the info! This thread could've saved my job.

8. ncdriver1

ncdriver1 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    32 cpm just because you want to come home before 14 days? Not even Schneider does that...

slim shady and GoldenLad Thank this.
  9. GoldenLad

GoldenLad Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Robot, are they going to put you up in a motel at night while you're out with a trainer? They told me all trucks are single sleepers, so I assume that's how they'd do it.

10. I'm not a robot

Jul 29, 2015
    Charleston, SC
    Yes, at least for my first week out in Savannah doing local loads from this Monday-Friday. They said ill be put with a system otr trainer the weeks after. I'm not 100% sure if i'll be in a hotel then. It would make sense that I will if they are indeed single sleepers.

GoldenLad Thanks this.
  11. I'm not a robot

Jul 29, 2015
    Charleston, SC
    Alright guys. I'm just finished Day 2 of my first week with a trainer!

Let me go over the past two days.

Day 1: Report to Savannah, GA terminal at 6am. I meet my trainer waiting with an empty trailer in a day cab after I got my PPE gear in a box outside the front door. We get on our way to get the loaded. The loader was just down the road a few miles by the port. After about 30 minutes of loading, we get on our way to plant out by Sylvania, GA. Now this will be remember-able load. Why? The written directions were wrong! All we had to do was get on route 21 and take it strait through Sylvania....................nope the directions told us to get on I-16 N and turn left on 301 wtf? Taht would take us southbound and in the complete opposite way we needed to go. I told my trainer this and then he routed the direction on his GPS..........which routed us 50 miles in god knows where! I couldn't believe it. I then took out google maps on my phone and talked to my trainer through the trip. Hehe the trainee became the trainer on day1 lol.

We eventually get to the plant an hour late. We had to unload this trailer, so I had to put on my ppe (which I've never worn before). Once I got everything on, all the connections were connected and we already started the offloading. It was a bit o pain but I can't blame my trainer. He was up at 3am doing a load/unload before he picked me up and we had another load/unload after this as well. Iwas in the suit for maybe 10 minutes and went over to the cab to take off the top part and I was drenched in sweat everywhere! It didnt feel like I was sweating as much as i did. Afterwards we took our 30 minute break at a (we didn't know) vacant gas station. Oh well.

Break time over, on our way back to terminal to pick up a loaded trailer and unload a trailer at Riceboro, GA. At this facility, they unloaded for us. The downside is that it took them nearly 2 hours. It was 5pm when we made it back to the terminal. Trial by fire it seemed. So far I liked it. The worst part was wearing the PPE suit in boiling weather.

pathfinder1361 and GoldenLad Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.