Curious to freight brokerage

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by eric90210, Sep 30, 2015.

1. eric90210

eric90210 Bobtail Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Hi all,
    I'm quite interested in getting into freight brokerage, and I've done some reading up on it, but I feel unsure on what steps I should take. From what I've gathered, what I'm looking to do would be a freight broker agent? Since you'd need to get some type of license from the FMCSA, and a security bond which would enable you to be a freight broker, I think that'd be a bit too ambitious for a complete newcomer, and from what I take from reading everything, that's really what you'd get if you're looking to start up a business, and I'm definitely not looking to do that without any knowledge.
    Ideally what I'd like to do is get some experience under my belt in brokerage from someone who knows the ins and outs. I'm eager to learn, no ego, and I'm always willing to be quiet and listen to someone who's willing to share their wisdom. Thank you for reading.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. holdgross

holdgross Bobtail Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I am reading through the forums and ran across your post. I know your question is a few months old but I am currently in this same boat. Have you found any answers?

4. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Chicago IL
    There are freight brokerages out there that will train and then hire you on as an agent, learn the ins and outs about the business until you decide to go off on your own, the only thing I would make sure of is that if you left can you keep your book of contracts, meaning all of the shippers you obtained loads from, some brokerages have in their contract stating that any shippers you obtain while with the brokerage becomes property of that brokerage if you leave, some will let you keep them, some wont.

5. holdgross

holdgross Bobtail Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Thank you for your advice. I have talked with Landstar and am contemplating starting with them. Where did you start?

6. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Chicago IL
    I've never been a freight broker but I have a close buddy that is and that is the advice I got from him, main question is to see if you can keep your contacts if you ever decide to leave, if you can't take them with then it's up to you to find all new ones if you ever do leave.

holdgross Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.