Cypress Truck Lines: Bad for Newbies, Great Weight Loss Plan

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Robin, May 28, 2007.

1. flyboy7009

flyboy7009 Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Lenoir, NC
    I also am a victim of Cypress Truck Lines!

Just as Robin stated all of it is True!!! Their yard looks like a JUNKYARD rather than a trucking company!

Robin actually made it through the orientation! I was the last one in my class of 15 to be weeded out. I was told that Florida was a "Right to Work" state, and that they did not have to tell me why.

After wasting 3 days in their so called orientation class, and paid nothing in return, I was told that my application was not approved. This was after I had been emailed and told that my application was approved and to come to orientation class. I'm just glad that I drove my own car to orientation as the other 13 students took them up on a one way Bus pass. Many of the students were stranded in Jacksonville with no transportation home and not enough money to pay for transportation.

After talking with other drivers on the road, It seems that they are getting some type of government subsidy for running students through what they call training. No training was provided other than a couple of very out dated videos. They just keep a steady flow of students going through orientation without planning to hire or keep them. I also suspect that the ones that are hired usually quit or get fired before the company benefits kick in.

The company I ended up working for is the exact opposite. All their equipment is kept in excellent condition and the oldest truck in the fleet is 3 years old. They also have the trainees start in the older equipment, although; they are still like new trucks. The terminal and yard is kept in excellent condition and clean. The orientation is actually a safety class unlike the waste of time and energy that Cypress offers.

If anyone knows who to report these con artists to, please reply with the info.

flyboy7009

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flyboy7009

flyboy7009 Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Lenoir, NC
    I failed to mention that I work for Cargo Transporters out of Claremont, NC. They are a dry van operation. I get home almost every weekend. I've only been stuck out 3 weekends in over 7 months and one was more like a vacation than a layover. I rarely have to assist in unloading, and I usually take a nap while someone else unloads the truck.

They do have a training program and an extremly clean facility.

I have talked with other drivers from the Florida area, and they also usually get home on the weekends.

Everything I was told in orientation was 100% true. They offer clean bunk rooms, showers, gym, and even a kitchen at the terminal.

The only drawback is that the trucks are governed at 63mph and they use electronic logs. (A safety Feature) They will never ask you to falsify your log book.) If you are unable to make a load due to running out of time, they will either relay the load with another driver or call the customer to let them know you will be late.

My only regret is the time and money I wasted with CYPRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS. They guy that is giving you a hard time is either just an idiot or he is a Cypress Trainer!

wolfen Thanks this.
  4. Robin

Robin Bobtail Member

May 28, 2007
    Dunnellon, FL
    Cypress must have got the contract to haul limerock or sand for the new power plant in nearby Levy county. I see several of their trucks pulling big dump trailers along state road 40...

That's more like it. Dump trucks are far more appropriate for them than flatbeds.

I know some folks who work there (who hired on with experience and got shiny 3-year-old trucks or newer and were allowed to forgo the weeks of giving Cypress free yard labor), and they say they are treated well, enjoy plenty of work and home time, and decent wages.

But it's absolutely not for rookies!! Based on what I saw and experienced, and what I hear from their veteran drivers, though, I could recommend it to skateboarders with plenty of verifiable experience.

As much as I hate to go back on the road, in this economy there's just nothing else available, and I'm starting all over again. Maybe I'll look up Cargo Transporters, lol.

Thanks for the remarks,
    Robin

5. Armadillo

Armadillo Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Daytona, FL
    LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. Florida is a terrible area to work from. That is why CYPRESS has a captive supply of slaves...

6. RoadRunner62

RoadRunner62 Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    There's a lot of companys out there that won't hire newbies and if i'm not mistaking Cypress is one of them that requires a yr exp. At least they gave you an oppurtunity to start driving! Sounds like you need to get out of flatbed work to me. I talked to a few of there drivers and said they get home almost every weekend, and get paid. Some people just don't understand how you have to start at the bottom and work your way up. Part of becoming a driver. Companys should take care of there drivers who have the experience.

7. paul_4lp

paul_4lp Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Fort Myers, FL
    Guess I need to go here..just for the weight loss program

8. Sillen

Sillen Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Jacksonville, FL
    How is this company now? It sparked my interest as I live here in Jax.

9. wideglide13

wideglide13 Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Anywhere USA or Canada
    Sillen i am sure it is the same . What side do you sit ? I have experience and from my research it don't sound bad . Heck even for the rookies it don't sound bad . robin complains about "junk truck " idk a wiper broke ? a oil leak ? big deal that is nothing even new trucks break down .

10. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    I just pulled up their CSA scores. They really are not that bad. Allot of inspections also, so the numbers should be pretty accurate. I think maintenance was #1 worst one. But was at like 39, so not an issue till over 80. Then Logs was in the 30s. Also remember, any load violation for securment, edge protection etc. is now in the maintenance category. Since the load securement basic is gone. So I am actually surprised that they are doing pretty good in this.
    It was funny though, I looked at their Tampa terminal on google earth. And I did not know it was a trucking company, just scanning the area for possible parking areas. Looks like a tractor junk yard. Must be 100 wrecked trucks in the lot.

11. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    they consider that,

their Parts bin............:biggrin_25514:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.