D16 bent crank?

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Morkable, Jul 8, 2016.

1. BigPerm

BigPerm Medium Load Member

Fine...that's what wore the bearings & created the brass in the filters.
    New/reground crank, bearings, & whatever else is appropriate...but not $54K.
    I would suggest you find out what caused the wear though. No service? Running low on oil?, etc.
    Good luck

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Morkable

Morkable Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2015
    That's what I thought. But it is so weird. No vibration, runs real smooth. No oil useage. Last oil change the sample was perfect. I am up in the air on this too. All they keep saying to me is that it is a common problem on the d16 "d" engine. (Built in 05 and 06). I have done exhaustive research on this. And I can't see anything about problem crank shaft. Lots about injector issues but not cranks.

However I am pretty much tapped out on money. So even just replacing the crank is 15-20 k that I don't have

4. BigPerm

Haven't paid attention to Volvo, but lower end problems are pretty rare. Check different dealer to check for recalls, service bulletins, etc.

KB3MMX and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  5. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Like he said! And grooves on a journal does not mean it is bent. Usually comes from a dirty rebuild or a little trash in the oil, lack of service and or a bad by-pass valve. If the O.D. mic OK I have hand polished, in the block, and ran many of them.
    $54.000 is a lot of money to spend because you spun a rod bearing in your air compressor and need crankshaft bearings. Not saying that's it just at least want a second opinion.

6. BigPerm

I agree w/Boxcar and the previous poster...you could get a decent idea checking run-out.

7. benrab

benrab Medium Load Member

Apr 5, 2015
    Quebec ,Canada
    Suggestion, check closely the main cap no 4 (thrust bearing) check and compare opening mesurement on the main cap with main bearing failure and compare the opening mesurment with a main cap without failure.
    Often even though the main bearing didn't spin inside the bloc but the heat generate it's high enough to stretch (Close) the main cap end.
    Ben

KB3MMX and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  8. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I had to read that a few times to understand, I'm slow. I have taken some cranks to a machine shop to clean and polish etc. Had some that I was told were bent but we straightened it. Bent as in kind of like a warped head. They did not cause low oil pressure. He did not say it spun a bearing that can cause low oil pressure, did he? I have seen some distorted block stuff on engines that were ran extremely hot, never measured the cap. Did not say it ever ran hot.
    It just sounds a bit odd to me and the $54,000, it a third more than I have ever heard anyone spent on a standard truck engine?
    Grooves or scratches?

9. simon999

simon999 Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Can you post pictures of main bearings or possibly bent crank? That would give us more info.
    You need to put new bearings and new oil pump to raise your oil pressure. I have not heard how you can bent crank..

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  10. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    This is why many D16 owners have changed to 15W-40 oil. The D16 had low oil pressure issues during hot weather or high load conditions....

11. Morkable

Morkable Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2015
    I was running 15/40.

To update everyone. The truck is off to the auction. I bought a new freightliner with the dd15 engine dt12 tranny combo

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.