Data Usage for TND 730

Discussion in 'Cellular - Voice - Data' started by Inside_Intelligence, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Inside_Intelligence

Inside_Intelligence Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Holland, Michigan
    Can anyone provide details on cell data usage when connecting their Rand McNally TND730 for WiFi?

I was using Google Maps for route and traffic guidance, but one week of use ate up over 3 gigs of data. OUCH! Will the 730 use that much data when constantly hooked up to WiFi via my phone?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    It's has a dedicated gps and maps. They are built in. So as far as routing purposes go, it does not require any data at all for going down the road.
    Google fetches the required mapping data as you go.
    You can get dedicated mapping apps for most smart phones.

Inside_Intelligence Thanks this.
  4. Inside_Intelligence

Inside_Intelligence Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Holland, Michigan
    Yeah, I should have clarified that the Wifi needs to be connected for the Traffic Everywhere feature. Sorry 'bout that.

5. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    If the service is tied into your phone inorder to update road info, then I would imagine it would eat a chunk of your GB each week, otherwise if it were standalone, it wouldn't need the phone to get the info.

6. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    Husband has the TND 720, and it has been a really sorry one. He does not use any of the wifi on it. There were areas, like in Springdale, and Rogers, AR, that it would not take any addresses to find locations. After several updates, that started to finally work, but it still has its' moments.

Post how the TND 730 does. And don't forget that you can use the longitude/latitude feature if you can't get the address to go in. This requires google map though on a laptop, click what's here, and it will give you the info. I believe what is given is at least 98% accurate to use.

7. jmroadhog

jmroadhog Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Grand Forks BC
    If you do a search on this Forum for this subject by both DieselBoss and Mark Kling you will get your answer.They did tests on the TND units a while ago.If I remember correctly the Data usage was not that much over the period of a month.

8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Your phone, opposed to a dedicated GPS, will use tons of data if you use it as GPS because your phone has to download maps and data to build the maps you are looking at. A dedicated GPS doesn't use data unless it gets live traffic info or when you update the software.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  9. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    Yeah it shouldn't use a lot.

Google maps app doesn't usually store the maps on your phone so that's pretty much why it used a lot.

I have a different GPS but for basically the same thing it used 60mb through a BT connection for the past month.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  10. speedyrob

speedyrob Bobtail Member

May 6, 2015
    Olive Branch, MS
    I think many of you are not familiar with this unit. The OP stated he only needs wifi for traffic alerts, the TND 730 requires wifi connection for real time traffic and weather not for the route, he already stated that his phone used 3 gigs a week for mapping, the 730 will do the mapping on its own but needs wifi for traffic. Does anybody have an answer for the OP's question? Balakov100 at least reported his GPS's usage.

11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    You might also consider is it downloading weather radar updates whether or not you have the radar layer turned on. I would hope it doesn't but I don't know.

The wifi connectivity features of the RM's is a big part of the reason I went back to garmin. I could do all the other with my smartphone, and much better.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.