DD15 DEF Pressure Sensor

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Shadetree Trkr, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Shadetree Trkr

Shadetree Trkr Bobtail Member

Sep 7, 2012
    I'm having a recurring issue with the DEF pressure sensor. Three faults in the past 35k miles. Two previous malfunctions were traced to the pneumatic switching value and I'm guessing this fault is the same malfunction. Has anyone else had this issue and how was it resolved?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    give me the fault code in spnxxx fmixx format and I will help you. usually DEF pressure sensor does not go bad. it's something else. That head ache I had twice on my truck.

4. Shadetree Trkr

Sep 7, 2012
    EEC 061 SPN00433407 The previous two times the pneumatic switching value was replaced.

5. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    Shadetree Trkr and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  6. Shadetree Trkr

Sep 7, 2012
    Thanks for the info. I definitely noticed the engine derate (didn't know it was 25%) though this time it doesn't seem to be as bad as the first time. And, the tech repaired it exactly the way the SPN 4334 service manual stated. Fortunately, my truck is still under warranty so I'll have them fix it again. At least I know more about it now.

7. Freightliner_Man

Freightliner_Man Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2015
    If a few pneumatic switching valves have been replaced and the problem has came back you probably have oil in the air system. Take the 1/4 air line off of the PLU on the side with a "T" fitting on it. If it has oil in it........ You need a lot of repairs. Air dryer maintenance is very important on EPA10 Freightliners.

8. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    if you put brand new compressor and new air dryer still you will have a little oil in PLV. And that little oil is the killer of PLV . Engineers of that plv are big brains. Instead of regular black rubber they could use a little expensive oil resistant Viton 75 rubber and all problems could be solved. Do you remember first generation VPODs? they all had short life and later the manufacturer changed rubber to Viton.

roshea and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.