Detroit Series 60 Engine Hard Start

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by lhelmuth, Nov 30, 2015.

1. lhelmuth

lhelmuth Bobtail Member

Jun 12, 2015
    I have a 2004 Series 60 Detroit that has a serious problem with cranking and cranking and cranking until it juuuusssst finally starts.
    I have heard that check valves can be an issue on the Detroit so I replaced the check valve behind the engine and also the one that is inline on the right side of the filter housing.
    This seemed to somewhat help but it has not really fixed the problem much if any.
    Anybody have any ideas? Like some pro that has had the same issue already or something?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    I am a pro at process of elimination. try this if it don't work.... e.t.c... but to be serious. is it hard to start all the time? or just when truck has been off for a day or so? you can check the trs & srs sensors & make sure there is no metal on them. I do not know how to tell if they are bad, but that is 2 of the things that I hear a lot on your symptoms. by far it is the backcheck at the rear head. that is most common that I know in my area.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. Rock 'n Roll Relocater

Rock 'n Roll Relocater Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Near Music City
    Sounds like a fuel problem....as in not getting any or air in the line.

5. lhelmuth

lhelmuth Bobtail Member

Jun 12, 2015
    It gets worse the longer it sits, and as I said, I did replace the backcheck at the rear head

6. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    If you have the clear glass davco type fuel filter it also has a ck. valve on fuel line that goes bad, all it takes is a small bit of trash in ck. valve to make it louse prime.

7. lhelmuth

lhelmuth Bobtail Member

Jun 12, 2015
    I have replaced that one as well with no better results

8. lhelmuth

lhelmuth Bobtail Member

Jun 12, 2015
    Is there something that I should know about priming the system and getting all the air out?

9. Rock 'n Roll Relocater

Nov 16, 2015
    Near Music City
    It could be a bad sensor.....but it still sounds like a lack of fuel problem. Maybe a frayed line that is allowing air...have you checked all your lines?

10. lhelmuth

lhelmuth Bobtail Member

Jun 12, 2015
    Yes I have and from everything that I can see there are no cracks anywhere.

Would a bad sensor cause it to start harder after it sits awhile though?

I will say this though, when I removed the fuel line from the assembly this morning there was a poof of air

11. Rock 'n Roll Relocater

Nov 16, 2015
    Near Music City
    "Would a bad sensor cause it to start harder after it sits awhile though?"

That does seem unlikely, but I was just looking over symptoms and things to check on a web site and that was one of the things they said to check. To my way of thinking it still sounds like some kind of issue with the fuel. I had that happen once years ago and the gasket on my fuel filter had a crease in it and was apparently allowing air into it and made it tough to start. That was a simple fix, but took a while to find. There are a couple of mechanics here so hopefully one will jump in with some of their experience.

mgrantes Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.