Diary of a current Swift flatbed driver

Discussion in 'Swift' started by schmud0811, Jun 6, 2010.

1. skip1955

skip1955 Light Load Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Harlingen, TX
    Son's been out of orientation since last Thursday and still hasn't been called

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. widowmaker1

widowmaker1 Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2012
    champaign, illinois
    I've heard some horror stories about Swift, however, they are going to give me a chance. I've been out of the business since 2007 and hopefully this may be my ticket back into the business. Any suggestions from CURRENT drivers on what and what NOT to do?

4. skip1955

skip1955 Light Load Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Harlingen, TX
    As of today, and more phone calls asking what other papers had to be signed/sent/faxed/witnessed/e-mailed, We have been told that ALL papers are in , this is seven days after swift orientation. Fourteen days since last work day, as have to tell old job were we were going. And now will have to wait till after the holiday to find out when work starts

5. usramc

usramc Light Load Member

Oct 29, 2012
    That sucks! Just got off the phone with a recruiter since they're offering free cdl school for vets, said i could be in school next monday. Its tempting but he wasnt sure if my area had flatbed and .26 a mile for flat. I think ill use my gi bill and go to a local school then drive for tmc, that way drivers can make fun of how clean my truck is.

Mattchu Thanks this.
  6. SteveH85396

SteveH85396 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Waddell, AZ
    Swift has 3 flatbed terminals: Phoenix, AZ, Gary, IN, & Greer, SC. You DO NOT have to live near one of these 3 terminals in order to run flatbed. There are certain areas of the country that Swift does very little business in with their flatbed fleet and that would make it tough to get home for hometime.

Flatbed is a very small part of Swift's overall operation. As a driver you will be treated better than a van driver and usually will have more consistant miles. When I ran company flatbed (I'm a van O/O now) I routinely had to take a 34 every week because I ran myself out of hours in 5-6 days. Even as a rookie driver I DID NOT have to clean my truck out in order to take hometime.

7. cpape

cpape Desk Jockey

Jul 15, 2010
    Dubuque, IA
    If you live in the Midwest, South or Southeast, I would suggest paying for your own schooling and looking at TMC or Maverick. Once you get in a truck you will be making a real wage (.40+/mi). You will also be with a company that you could stay with for your career. Below is a link to a very good Maverick thread. There are several drivers on there that will give you good information about their company.

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr.../101564-heading-for-little-rock-maverick.html

There are several TMC threads, but I have not come across a good one.

Good luck with your search.

8. usramc

usramc Light Load Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Yeah im in southeast Kentucky and my gi bill will pay for school. But there are a few companies that i can draw on my gi bill for 18 months through the apprentice program. Tmc included. Thats what im thinking is best, go to tmc at least for the 18 months. Then if i don't like it, move on.

9. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    I broke down in Little Rock for a couple of days and stayed in a motel with a lot of Maverick drivers ... they all loved thier job and thier company.

10. schmud0811

schmud0811 Medium Load Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Phoenix,AZ
    sorry guys been kept pretty busy with the new job.

11. Mattchu

Mattchu Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2012
    New Bedford, Ma
    I though this thread died :biggrin_2555:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.