Differences in pay among companies

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by rpad139, Jul 29, 2016.

1. rpad139

rpad139 Heavy Load Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ca
    Why does company company "A" pay more than company "B?"

I know there are alot of variables involved. What are some of the main factors?

-Is the owner of one company getting rich by paying his drivers pennies?

-does company "A" know how to negotiate better rates than company "B?"... resulting in better pay for the drivers?

- do some of these companies have the right connections to get good paying contracts resulting in better pay?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rpad139

Jan 9, 2014
    Ca
    Im curious why a company like crete carriers can pay their drivers $0.45 a mile. Versus the starting pay at some of these other companies that are paying $0.30 a mile.

Im assuming the drivers pay depends on how well the company is run...and a lot of other variables.

4. FlexinTarzan

FlexinTarzan Medium Load Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Stanfield, OR
    Carrier CSA scores play a part in rate negotiation, also bigger fleets can spread their profit margins out more thus offering higher cpm. Starter outfits pay less cpm and have the cheaper freight market cornered ie Stevens, Trans Am, CR England,,,,,bottom line is honor/pay off your contract or get 1 yr in and move along UP THE LADDER.

HughJack and rpad139 Thank this.
  5. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Companies get away with 'advertising paying' as little as they can. Remember what you actual get paid will differ.

Crete starting out at $0.45cpm? If they are starting out the high it is because they need to attract more drivers or they can't keep meat in the seat long enough to function as a trucking company. Their is some point when the turnover is above 100% that the company cannot function no more.

The fact some companies start a driver out at $.30cpm may just be in their ability to convince drivers they can make money driving for 'them' at $.30cpm

rpad139 Thanks this.
  6. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    The way I see it the smaller companies pay better versus the bigger "Mega" fleets.

With a smaller company your known as a Human by name not a number in a computer system.

7. rpad139

Jan 9, 2014
    Ca
    Out here in california I see the opposite. A lot of small companies with pay that is not the greatest. There are a few good ones too that pay pretty good.

8. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    For me the two small companies I have worked for out of Illinois payed better per mile and offered more miles than the big companies I have worked for.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  9. Bossy Lady

Bossy Lady Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2016
    Sssshhhhhh.....Don't tell my drivers that.I keep telling them they're fired cause they make more money than I do and I am out here with them driving also.

10. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    Well that's simple, one they drive autoamtics, the high dollar company, MANUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL.
    MWahWahWahWah

11. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    One companies probably has more grief per load, thus the higher compensation. Short hauls, re-powers, time at docks, etc. Some companies are just F cheap. The one guy I lease on with has company drivers, and I think they are maxxed at $0.40/ mile, but they spend almost no time at docks, and also D&H a lot. He looks at it like your time spent is time spent weather it's sitting around being loaded, unloaded or driving. Many people want the higher cents per mile and spend the day in the bushes or a dock. At the end of the week company guys are making 1200 to 1400 week. Take it or leave it.
    JB Hunt will go to $0.50 / mile for a company driver.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.