Do Hot Shots under 10001 lbs follow DOT and FMCSA and HOS?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by FEELTHEWHEEL, Oct 22, 2013.

1. FEELTHEWHEEL

FEELTHEWHEEL Medium Load Member

Oct 19, 2010
    EL Cajon C.A.
    I need to ask, if under 10001 lbs, do all the DOT and FMCSA and HOS rules get tossed out the window, if running Hot Shot. Thanks !

:Transportation cost

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Some courier services are exempt. Some of them you use your own vehicle, such as a pickup truck with a shell over the bed. Google & yellow pages may help find some near you.

FEELTHEWHEEL Thanks this.
  4. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    Not all the time. If its listed as a CMV its still a CMV.

5. missjhawk

missjhawk Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2013
    nutbush
    do you have a your own authority? sometime i see that company with the blk jaguar at each end. i would see their expeditors on a break like ours. then i would see people pulling regular trailers taking breaks messing up perfectly good parking spot for me. they be on break. i no dot have set rules for different weight classes. you may not have to be in truck stops like us but u got it easier to find park. i would tell u to take the 30 min break, keep your log book, some states require you to go thru weigh station just like CMV i think texas is one state unless u have pre-pass like us.
    blog.shiprightnow.com/tag/hot-shot-freight/‎

Aug 25, 2013 - Posted in hot shot hauling, Hot Shot Trucking Jobs, Uncategorized ... Of course, FMCSA will have their lobbyist cronies show that this has made ... The new regulations state that any driver must take a 30 minute break logged

FEELTHEWHEEL and Chinatown Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Your posting about Panther Expedite with the black panthers on the trucks & trailers. They require a CDL even to drive their little cargo vans.

7. saltbranch

saltbranch Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2013
    That's correct as long as you are not hauling hazmat. Double check your home states requirements, but USDOT has the 10,001 lbs. threshold & over requirement. For example in Texas, if you run in the state(Intrastate) of Texas only, the threshold is 26,000 lbs...if you run out of state(interstate) then its 10,001 lbs. due to USDOT requirement. If you haul hazmat, does not matter if you drive a Toyota car..the regulations apply .

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    It depends on the state, not the fed regulations.

If you are living in a state that reconginizes the vehicle as a cmv and you are plated as such, then some of their regs apply to you but it is up to the state which regs apply.

Why do you need to ask?

9. FEELTHEWHEEL

FEELTHEWHEEL Medium Load Member

Oct 19, 2010
    EL Cajon C.A.
    Will not be able to get back my CDL back till around June of next year due to a suspended license. Need something to do. Never stop rolling ! Thanks for asking.

10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    So you will be running a rig that has less than 10k GVW trailer with a truck less than 10k GVW - pretty small loads, right?

11. armygatormn

armygatormn Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Montrose, MN
    My truck is rated for 26,000 GCVW and I run interstate. The only difference is the CDL and fuel tax requirements. I still have to go through weigh stations and follow HOS rules. I have an electronic logbook and I get a warning notice flash on the screen to let me know when I am getting close to being in violation. When the warning flashes I start finding a place to stop. Granted, I am usually pulling a trailer. My trailer is rated for a GCW of 14K most of my loads average around 5,000 lbs. My GCVW with truck and trailer empty is 11,000 lbs. are you asking 10,001 GCVW or load weight? If it is load weight you do need a DOT# and MC# and comply with all rules and regulations.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.