Do I need MC#?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by manue, Jul 6, 2015.

1. manue

manue Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Hi, somebody can help me. I am working local Houston from yard to yard with my own sign. but that I need to have MC to pick up a load inside the port from a vessel if that load is from other transportation company such as, Paul transportation, American eagle, etc)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 315wheelbase

315wheelbase Heavy Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    you most likely will need a USDOT number free,, go to the FMCSA website can do it online,,as for a MC number? only if yor haul interstate for hire,,many port terminals require 1 million auto liability and many also require an additional 1 million general liability too.if you are sub hauling thru an other carrier you might be able to use their name, number and ins,,

4. manue

manue Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Yes I have my USDOT and TXDOT but I am confused with the MC# because some driver say the port is different because the load is coming from other state or country and for that you need the MC

5. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Yes, you need common carrier authority, usually referred to as an MC number. This is because, even though you do not leave Texas, the freight comes from or is destined for a point outside of the state so it is interstate commerce even though your portion of it is completely within one state. This is also why drivers under 21 can't haul into/out of the port or even work for companies like UPS, because they are interstate carriers even if the truck does not leave the state. Please see the copied information from the FMCSA website below, note the bold highlighted text.
    What is the difference between interstate commerce and intrastate commerce?
    PreviousNext

If you perform trade, traffic, or transportation exclusively in your business’s domicile state, this is considered intrastate commerce. If your trade, traffic, or transportation is between a place in a state and a place outside of such state (including a place outside of the United States); between two places in a state through another state or a place outside of the United States; or between two places in a state as part of trade, traffic, or transportation originating or terminating outside the state or the United States, this is considered interstate commerce. Source: 49 CFR 390.5.

Last Updated : June 4, 2014

Straight Stacks Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.