Do not work in the oilfields if you have lung problems.

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by CaliforniaJellyroll, Jul 6, 2015.

1. CaliforniaJellyroll

CaliforniaJellyroll Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2015
    If you don't yet have lung problems, if you work in the oil fields, you may get some... and more. Also, don't drink any unfiltered tap water. Take precautions so you can continue working, if you really want to go there and make money, or you might not be making money for long.

This is a clip from a Rolling Stone article about Vernal, Utah. (Warning - the actual article is not skewed against fracking, per se, but the scientific evidence is there that it is causing sickness and unnecessary death. If you're staunchly for fracking and big oil, don't blame me for the content please. This is to warn the newbies who don't understand what's out there and the potential risks.)

"I asked her what she thought might have caused this spate of losses. "They all live in town and said their water tasted bad, so I went to their houses and took samples." She tested the water with a monitoring device used by drillers; most of the batches tested were positive for extreme toxicity from hydrogen sulfide, H2S, one of the most deadly of the gases released by drilling. [Young says she found were more than 7,000 times the EPA threshold for safety.] Exposure to it has killed a number of rig workers over the past few decades. In high enough concentration, just one breath is enough."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/culture...-babies-of-vernal-utah-20150622#ixzz3f8zeL3QQ

Vilhiem Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Vilhiem

Vilhiem Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2014
    So...treat the oil fields as you would a vacation to any third world country?

Not making light. Just a summary.

(Unless you found it funny...)

4. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    I believe ZERO what Rolling Stone writes. They're flat out liars....proven time and again.

5. Vilhiem

Vilhiem Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Eh, the logic is there... Is it as severe as stated? Perhaps not.

Is the risk there? Certainly.

I'd do bottled water and the like, but walking around town with a gas mask on or driving around in a sealed bubble? Nah...

6. georgeandson

georgeandson Heavy Load Member

Feb 18, 2011
    1 mile down the road.
    yep...
    i have the same feeling about them...

but if you work in the oil Fields you have a h2s monitor you own...and if you have that much h2s in your water that h2s mon would be going off at home all the time....

this smells fishy....

7. georgeandson

Feb 18, 2011
    1 mile down the road.
    So,... I read the paper and seems like all the typical anti fracing bs....

Nothing new.
    I could type a 20 page response since I was in the industry and have my own opinions But will spare the masses HAHA and say this.

She cares so much, then she should park her car asap and refuse to use anything that was made or transported with oil and so should everyone else who feels that way. That is the only way out of the oil and gas industry....

Vilhiem Thanks this.
  8. Mudguppy

Mudguppy Degenerate Immoralist

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    Yea....The only problem with this (for those with the "moral high ground" anyway...) is that almost everything we have or use in our daily lives is either powered by, derived from, or manufactured using some form or other of petroleum or petroleum by-product. Not much out there these days not involved in the chain somehow. Unless you live totally and absolutely off the grid....And fashion your own tools, shelter, etc. using only natural materials and your own hands......

Vilhiem Thanks this.
  9. georgeandson

Feb 18, 2011
    1 mile down the road.
    exactly my point. I get tired of people bashing on oil and the industry. We don't like it ourselves but its better then buying it from people who wanna cut out heads off and its better then being with out it.
    By all means, she/he (the writer) can find a better source to run our trucks and I am all for it. But otherwise, she should look for a solution to the problem don't just write theatricals full if bullshyt and exaggerations.
    I felt like I was reading about a the movie "the hills have eyes"...with all the HORROR she mentions.....

People like the writer of this paper are desperate to make a name....thats it...

Mudguppy, Vilhiem and Puppage Thank this.
  10. CaliforniaJellyroll

CaliforniaJellyroll Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2015
    That is exactly what I tell people who are uppity about "oil wars" and the like. I say, look at how much plastic #### is around your house. Know what that comes from? That's why.

Still good to think about if you're going into trucking with some problems already. I was reading about people with asthma not having a good time in the truck stops, and they didn't know it would be like that with the exhausts, so why not make a point that if you're looking to stay healthy, the oil fields probably aren't a good place.

That's all.

11. georgeandson

Feb 18, 2011
    1 mile down the road.
    any job that gives you a emergency respirator with an oxygen tank and a 4 gas detector during orientation and tells you that if you don't use these wisely you could die.....is the first sign its not a healthy environment...
    Why do people think we made 10k a month as a driver and 30k net to the truck a month????
    Because its easy and healthy???HAHAHAHHA

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.