Do relays burn out? How to test...

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Michael H, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Michael H

Michael H Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
    Howdy keyboard gurus! I replaced the door switch controller for the windows/mirrors and heard a pop. I checked the fuses, all good. Could it be a relay? If so, how do I determine that? I really don't want to put this in the shop at the TA I'm parked at. Neither side works, controller on the passenger side won't roll down the window either. Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    The easy way:

Simply swap the suspected faulty relay with another relay of the same rating. If the accessory you swapped the possible bad relay to still works, and the circuit you have issues with still doesn't. Relay is not at fault.

thejackal and Ezrider_48501 Thank this.
  4. Michael H

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
  5. melsno

melsno Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2015
    Have you checked the fuses behide the glove box? Just about every fuse that is related to your cab is in there. I think also a few relays. Check the fuses first then switch some relays around that are the same to see if that helps. Best way i found out is switch relays around but the stickers will tell you which is which.

6. thejackal

thejackal Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2014
    detroit mi
    Chances are, if u heard a pop, it's a timed circuit breaker...after a time it should reset itself. Or pop again.

7. Michael H

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
    Changed the relays, all fuses have continuity, and the panel is new. I think I've exhausted the obvious stuff. Funny, the door lock switch works, but I still can't roll down the windows. Might be time to turn it over to the pros.

8. Michael H

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
    Just a quick follow-up to close the thread. I ended up having to replace a wiring harness. Easiest thing to do and saved a lot of labor. Problem solved. Thanks everyone.

SAR Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.