Dodging scales

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Wilhelm, May 22, 2008.

1. Wilhelm

Wilhelm Bobtail Member

May 21, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Greetings,

I'm a short story writer doing some research. I appreciate any and all help. How common is it for drivers to dodge scales/weigh stations? What are some methods or tricks drivers use to get around them?

Wilhelm

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    While it's not "that" common. It happens everyday.

Most people just stay on state routes, that get them around them. Even if it takes them out of the way a few miles.

Others, take a chance on restricted routes.

It's not a big deal, unless you get caught.

And there are many reasons for dodging a scale. Not just to avoid overweight or equipment issues.

4. Wilhelm

Wilhelm Bobtail Member

May 21, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Thanks much. Couple more questions: What are the consequences of getting caught and what are some of the other reasons people dodge scales?

W

5. dancnoone

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    The consequences can vary, From a severe ### chewing, to 10's of thousands of dollars in fines.

The fines will be based on everything that can/may apply. Overweight, weight restricted route/bridge, log books, equipment violations, no CDL, length restrictions, hazmat restrictions. The list just goes on and on.

Some of the reasons.

To save time, during high inspection periods. An inspection can cost you vital time needed if you're running late.

Poor equipment, the driver/company knows can not meet inspection standards.

Over Weight, over length, over width, out of hours on logs, no permits, missing permits, no insurance, no CDL.

I would add illegal drugs. But it appears we have idiots out here, that think they can go into scales with a trailer load of drugs and money.

So I suspect, they see no reason to go around. I dunno.

6. TLGken

TLGken Light Load Member

May 18, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Costs of getting caught? An overweight ticket!

Reasons...Logbook-not having one, having too many, on the road too long/over on hours
    bad tires, driver just being scared about the scale.

Avoiding the coops(scales) is sometimes called 'going by grandma's house'.

7. dancnoone

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    And grandma is one popular woman in Shreveport, LA that's just too easy LOL

8. BullGoose

BullGoose Light Load Member

May 2, 2008
    New Effington, SD
    Dodging or bouncing a scale is a ticket able offense that'll net you a fine the size of which depends on the state. Almost every time you will be taken to the scale or weighed on the spot by the ticketing officer and often times be given a vehicular and/or paperwork inspection.

A legitimate reason for dodging a scale is in order to get to a certified public scale in order to assure that you have been loaded legally. A driver is responsible for the correctness of his gross and axle weights before he enters a state scale.

A less than legitimate reason for bouncing a scale is the holding of a grudge. Some years ago a DOT officer ticketed me for having two empty soda bottles on the floor of my truck. "Failure to maintain a commercial vehicle". I didn't cross that scale until that officer retired two years later.

I don't encourage that sort of behavior, but it does happen.

9. DanJ

DanJ Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2006
    I go around the local scale, but not to simply go around it. It happens that getting off the highway 20 miles before my normal exit and taking the 2 lane saves 6 or 7 miles off the drive back to my terminal. Never had it mentioned in over 15 years now, and if an inspector did stop me, I'd simply say we are a "green" company, and I'm saving a gallon of fuel in each direction, plus the lower emissions of driving 50 instead of 60 LOL.

10. dancnoone

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi

Will that work in CA ?? Lmao

11. coachmark1

coachmark1 Light Load Member

Apr 24, 2008
    Newnan, GA

Lol THAT is GREAT!#!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.