Does registering a car in a State automatically give you residency in that state?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Aarrons, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Aarrons

Aarrons Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2015
    in particular no state tax Texas, I was denied a Drivers licence and they even sent a trooper to my family home in Texas to verify residency, I was told by the guy at the DMV that if I register a car in texas then I would be issued a drivers license, My Question is that a Fact? and written in regulation even if I don't live in Texas.

Currently I don't live or have a car registered in Texas.

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Ummm......... No.

We would all be residents of Texas if that were the case. And Texas would be one big car dealership.

diesel drinker and sh333 Thank this.
  4. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I think just the opposite is true. In most states you have to show proof of residence before they will register a vehicle in that state.

Dharok Thanks this.
  5. Raezzor

Raezzor Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Aug 1, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    No it doesn't. You have to show some proof that you've been there the requisite amount of time before you are considered a "resident." Either a lease or rental with a few payments on it, a phone, electric, or some similar bill usually works too. Each state has their own reqs.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's 30 days. You show proof of residence now. Nothing happens in the DMV in my state without utility bills birth certs and what not within 2020 when our optional enhanced licenses become MANDATORY. (And mandatory on renewal prior to 2020)

With that said, I got married and had a car in 6 days and via marriage and our home and lands way back when it was no problem changing everything CDL from one state to another, registering a purchased car and so on. It was a busy hour. But the little revenuer office make it easy.

There was a hitch. 8 years after Maryland knocked on my door demanding my voter papers to be transferred to my current state or return to face court there. I got it changed.

Im voting in the early elections monday next, frankly Hill will not get the white house, last night in the debates she revealed classified nuclear attack information at 4 minutes from time president says do it. Big blabber mouth. Sheesh. I'll hold my nose on this election. It's dirty, be cleaner to visit a strip club.

Dharok Thanks this.
  7. Raezzor

Raezzor Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Aug 1, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    I know when I changed my license from PA to OH we showed our car insurance form since that had both our names on it and our current address and that was good enough.

8. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    If they sent a trooper to your home in Texas(highly unlikely), then you would have already established residency. DPS has better thing's to do than running around looking to see who lives where, unless you have committed a felony crime.
    And NO, you do not have to have a vehicle to be issued a driver's license in the state of TEXAS.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.