Does Swift use automatics out of the academy?

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Xzay, Jul 5, 2016.

1. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    At 45 mph.

matt1502 and roadranger550 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. roadranger550

roadranger550 Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2016
    Nope!

Comparing what the US Military does to real life in the US trucking industry is TWO different things.

You will see manual transmission's in trucks, particularly in Off-Road trucks for a long time to come. The US military, doesn't care about how much they need to spend on repairing auto-"garbage", since the taxpayers foot the bills, whereas the trucking outfits that do lots of off-road work do care, a lot!

Wanna drive a local gig? Better learn how to shift a manual transmission, and learn to love them!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  4. roadranger550

Jun 20, 2016
    What are ya' gonna do when you get tired of OTR and want a local gig, with that big old "A" on your CDL? ;)

Most good local outfits dont use auto-garbage transmissions in their rigs, just so you understand. :cool:

scottied67 Thanks this.
  5. roadranger550

Jun 20, 2016
    Nah, I knew Swift and all the other cheap-arsed OTR companies would JUMP on the auto-garbage transmissions like flies to a pile of nasty stuff. The faster then can put a new seat-warmer in the cab, the better for them. Its not as if anyone really wants to drive for an outfit like that or many others.

The "churn" ratios are so high that they can't keep decent drivers on their payrolls for all that long, unless they are just plain stupid, so thusly an automatic transmission is easier to put them on the
    road, since they no longer need to train a driver to double-clutch or float the gears, like old-timers..

And current Swift drivers, dont get mad at me and dont even reply. I have been a truck driver
    for longer then you have even been alive. If you can't even learn to drive a manual transmission,
    you ain't a driver in my book, period!! Clue: it aint that hard and it just takes practice, that's all.

lagbrosdetmi Thanks this.
  6. Luse

Luse Medium Load Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Middle of nowhere Montana

LOL chill dude, 1st automatics will be replacing standard with 10 years. Minus maybe heavy hual stuff. And when I was in the army for 22 plus years the automatics didn't go down no more than the standards did and for the record I drove a standard for 12 plus years so I don't mind either way... That and I don't drive no more... Retired from every thing riding my Harley.

7. Luse

Luse Medium Load Member

Nov 8, 2010

LOL you sir are a jaded old fart...

roadranger550 Thanks this.
  8. Luse

Luse Medium Load Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Depends on the engine but yea at full gross around 90 tons yea 45 mph but some times you can catch a break and go 55 mph lol

9. superscooter

superscooter Light Load Member

If you're gonna knock swift in a swift thread...why, just wanna be an ###. I'm at C1 school FOR Swift right now. Yes, it's manual...no restrictions here. If you think the new auto's are junk, you're clueless or as mentioned a crusty old fart who just wants to bully. The auto's have a manual shift mode which is GREAT on incline/decline when you wanna go one more gear.

10. Luse

Luse Medium Load Member

Nov 8, 2010
    It's seems to be an unwritten rule to bash

1. Someone that just starting out aka " steering wheel holder"

2. Any one that works for a mega.

3 They need to lash out so they do it on a swift form, maybe they we're not hugged enough when they where a kid.

Rowsdower, inkeper and superscooter Thank this.
  11. inkeper

inkeper Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Texas
    ###### boy, you been driving over 64 years?

superscooter and A21CAV Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.