DOT regulations and work history

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by superscooter, Aug 15, 2016.

1. superscooter

superscooter Light Load Member

Yeah,..Western Express just emailed and said they liked my application and wanted to talk...lol

Weeezerd Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I saw a guy at the truck stop with a young kid. I got to talking to him and the kid rides with him all summer OTR. The kid seemed happy but I felt sorry for him. Most kids don't want to spend their summer looking out the windshield.

4. superscooter

Okay,...not sure why this was mentioned..but okay.

5. WiggleWagon

WiggleWagon Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2016
    Parked At The Fuel Island
    Hope these help. Knowing how to navigate helps you get to where you want to be.
    FMCSA:
    391.21 Application for employment.
    383.35 Notification of previous employment.
    391.51 Requirements for driver qualification file (something that a carrier MUST have)

As someone who does not possess a CDL, and if you have NEVER driven a CMV, you only need to provide three years of work history. I wouldn't refuse to give 10 years if a company insists. They will think you are a problem from the get go, but knowledge is power.

Unemployment doesn't matter, they just want to account work history and time between employers, IF you can verify it with unemployment, all the better. I think this is mainly to make sure you aren't hiding/lying about working for another carrier where you have wrecked a truck, punched the boss, etc, etc. This is a lot easier to figure out with PSP. Background checks reveal lies about jail time, etc. So, seems fairly obvious. They do ask for specific dates, and by all means, give specific dates. They do NOT have to be EXACT unless you know you are lying. The application says you are filling it out to the best of your knowledge. I bet a lot of people don't keep exact track of specific hiring and quitting/firing dates. Some people can't remember when they got married, their kids birthday, etc. Certainly not going 10 years back (with employment).

Companies are picky. More so if they are going to front the cost of training. Most reasonable people will understand the attendance issue unless it's a constant thing. They don't even technically have to verify employment if you have no CMV history. They just have to note its not possible because you don't have that experience.

Also maybe make SURE you have no criminal history. I personally have been denied for employment, later on to find out that the company that did the background check found my name, my birthday, but wrong social security number, and wrong driver license, and wrong address, etc. That guy had license suspensions, bench warrants for exhibition of speed and no show to court. I was applying for a driving job.....That was only once though.

See if your grant can be applied to a private school so you come in with your commercial license already in hand. That will open doors also. Worst case, and probably a better scenario then trucking, unless you WANT to live on the road, is go to that school, get your class A license get all of your endorsements, including passenger, then check out local school bus, and charter/tour bus companies.

Good Luck!

superscooter Thanks this.
  6. superscooter

The state grant i can get is for a private school, C1 cdl school in springfield. I can get the grant because im unemployed at moment. I had redtape delay me. I needed a form of proof from a state "assistance" program. I should get that in a day or two...however i really, Really..need to get going and get a paycheck. I had to sell my pickup to buy me a few months so i could get going in this new career. Then was crushed after my first 3 carriers rejected because of recent termination. I had no idea it was this difficult. Honestly,... I see ones who are taking mega carrier training...or already driving on youtube...and i'm like "wtf?....you're kidding?...THEY got in?". I have a totally spotless driving and criminal history. That company that the carriers get a snapshot of your driving and accident from,...i requested and got my copy. Nothing at all,... It's correct. The best advice i heard...right now its slow and the big companies CAN be picky,...later not so much. If i can get on somewhere that trains now...even if its not the best, i can get training, pay check,...and log miles and probably go where i want later. Im trying to get prehire letter from melton so if i DO go to C1...i know i have a carrier waiting. If not, like you mentioned i can take the cdl and do local or charter bus for awhile. I thought about bus before,..but i know trucking would be a better way to go.

7. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    If all else fails, use them for a year, and it's all a step up from there....

Weeezerd and superscooter Thank this.
  8. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Be sure to read all the past information on Western Express on the forum. There is a lot of information on the company that you really need to know.

Good luck to you. God bless you and your family!

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

9. superscooter

Yeah...i read some. Mostly how they were known for hiring all the ones who couldnt work elsewhere. Refered to them as "con express" also. I have to get somewhere to at least log miles...then go up the ladder. Can't wait any longer..a month and half unempolyed...ouch.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.