Double Downs - Downshifting

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by RedTheTrucker, Jul 29, 2015.

1. RedTheTrucker

RedTheTrucker Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Hey guys what rpms are you guys braking to for a double down 7 - 5 , 8 - 6 on a 10 speed manual and what are you reving to also a single downshift?

And when your going up a little incline or decline

My school says 600 rpm than rev to 1000 for double and then 800 rpm and 1000 rev

Jus took the road test yesterday failed kus i stalled but all ready had 23 points out of 30 by the time i had did that almost all because of grinding gears and shoving it in to gear

I was using the speed to know when to downshift but know i wanna use the rpm gauge trying to find that sweet spot any tips tricks anything

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. marineman227

marineman227 Dock Waterer

Jan 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    For the sake of passing your test don't skip gears, it just complicates things. You can learn all that when you're done with your test. On a 10 speed it should be roughly 400 rpm between gears

4. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    You should be able to get into 5th at 10mph , 6th 15mph, 7th 25MPH, 8th 35mph. Give or take depending on different gear ratio.

going by rpm is kinda finikey as the conditions are not always ideal, it's not a perfect world. try and listen to the engine and how it sounds in relation to your speed when you shift well. it will come to you with practice so try not to get too frustrated.

texasbbqbest Thanks this.
  5. purpleprime

purpleprime Medium Load Member

May 30, 2013
    spickard, mo
    You should be past looking at speeds and rpms shifting those are just guidelines to get you started ed every truck will be different you have to hear and feel where to shift the truck will tell you what works best

6. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    You do not have enough experience to skip gears...stick with hitting every gear for your first 25,000 miles. You need experience to learn when to skip and when not to. It is easier to float gears than it is to skip gears, imo.

7. RedTheTrucker

Jun 28, 2015
    I want to do this but i feel like if i don't double down its more chance of missing a gear when im down shifting and you can not coast more than the length of the vehicle on test day

And when coming off the highway having to go from ten to five single gear shifting will kill me

8. RedTheTrucker

Jun 28, 2015
    Guys i been reading around and people say there is about a 400 rpm difference that is needed to downshift between gears so if i brake to 800 rpm rev 1200 - 1300 rpm for a single downshift and for a double downshift ill brake to 600 rpm and rev to 1400 - 1500? Will this work out on a ten speed?

Im trying to go by a set of rules for test day like when upshifting in low gears i rev about 1000-1100 rpms and for high gears its 1500 - 1600 rpms and that seems to work everytime for me ..

all i need to do is work on loading the clutch so i dont stall and get a formula to downshift and i will pass this test !!

8thnote Thanks this.
  9. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Hello red the trucker, I love the last 5 words of your last sentence, "I will pass this test" ! Yeah, you will. But first, jamming gears forcing it etc means you're not doing it right. With a 10 speed, you should be able to shift at about 11-1300 rpm's. A big mistake I see with drivers is them "red lining" the rpm's before shifting. I see it daily around town at stop lights with trucks starting from a dead stop and reving that beast up to 1900 rpm then shifting !I mean, come on, who trained them ? Up shift at 11-1300 rpm, down shift at 15-1600 rpm. Ask the examiner how he/she wants you to shift. I think you trying to downshift from 10th gear to 5th gear while approaching a red lite is absurd. Why beat yourself up ?

10. Longarm

Longarm Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Who needs experience to skip around the shift pattern? I was taught from day one to skip gears both up and down. The thought of grabbing every gear needlessly is exhausting to me.

You know, I can't help you with rpm/gear/speed formulas. I rarely even look at my tach anymore. I shift by ear like most do. One thing that might help you out is to rev the engine hard. Really get into it so you know your rpms are higher than needed. Then let the shifter gently rake until it falls into gear. Take a mental not of where your speed and rpms were when it fell into gear. I'm not an instructor but I hope this helps you out some.

RedTheTrucker Thanks this.
  11. Bill51

Bill51 Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2015
    FYI, in Washington State, where Red is taking his test, I was told , by my instructors, that if you came to a stop at a stop sign or red light in the high range, you would be considered "not in complete control of your vehicle". Trying to remember, fairly sure that it would just be a points hit.

I can't find it in the CDL manual, but I have no reason to doubt my instructors.

12. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    I just push the down arrow button twice!

Mikeeee

mrdot Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.