Double Yellow's Company Driver to Independent Thread

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by double yellow, Nov 5, 2014.

1. oldtrucker66

oldtrucker66 Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2015
    I use www (dot) faxaway (dot) com.
    $1.00 per month. Flawless.
    You get a dedicated number 206-xxx-xxxx.
    Incoming faxes go directly to your email inbox. Your fax number also has voice mail.

I never have used to send outgoing faxes, so I do not know how good (or fast) that is.

csmith1281, paul_4lp and double yellow Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kabusheke2004

kabusheke2004 Light Load Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Virginia
    Hey
    Buddy. Looking to lease onto Conway. Know if their 90cpm is negotiable? That's what they told me they start. Thanks

4. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    Been pretty happy with myfax. $10 a month all faxes are emailed to me and sending faxes from my phone is cake. Send as email (1+fax number@myfax.com)

csmith1281, Rocks and double yellow Thank this.
  5. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Why even think about .90 a mile.
    25 years ago .80 was the going mileage based lease.
    Why buy a truck to earn less than a company driver?

spectacle13, spyder7723 and truckon Thank this.
  6. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    I have not found a broker who would not do email, I like it better than fax

csmith1281 Thanks this.
  7. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    Right but where it really comes in handy is when your at a shipper and they say "we need that release form on paper" and you can fax it to them right from your phone.

8. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    You end up needing to serve the lowest common denominator to get what you want sometimes. My best example is leaving a delivery in a hurry and realizing later your bills are missing pages, or one page didn't get signed. Emailing a pdf is usually rocket surgery for the receiving folks, but anyone knows how to dial a phone number and put paper thru a fax machine.

csmith1281, Rocks, tsavory and 2 others Thank this.
  9. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    I thought about this a bit after I posted last night. Microsoft offers a similar service with Office 365 if you're a fan of MS Office and Exchange mail. I think it's a few dollars more, but functionally equivalent. If you're already subscribing to Office 365, you may already be paying for mail hosting and just not using it yet. Email to your domain can be hosted on Microsoft shared mail servers. After over a decade in I/T, I really like how Outlook handles mail on Exchange, and integrates with other Office applications like Word and Excel. However, I really dislike the proprietary storage format and complete lack of portability to other mail platforms when you decide to use something else. So I went with Google instead.

csmith1281, Grijon and double yellow Thank this.
  10. oldtrucker66

oldtrucker66 Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2015
    Double Yellow
    Re: Small Claims Court

I need to add to my earlier reply.

1) It was my attorney who suggested I use Small Claims. He said the amounts were large enough for me to spend my time on it but not large enough to hire him to do it.

2) A company that owes you money can ignore your calls and letters forever with no consequence. They cannot ignore a court date. If you appear in court and they don't appear, you win automatically. If they battle you in court, the odds are against them.

3) I never actually went to court. Here's what happened with one case. Soon after filing, their law firm (the largest in the state) sent a thick document (certified mail of course) denying responsibility in the most frightening legalese you can imagine. The document's language was terrifying. It read like they were going to counter sue, take everything I owned and put me in debt bondage for the rest of my life. I exaggerate but only a little. This was exactly what my lawyer expected but forgot to tell me about. He said it was a copy and paste boilerplate junk document. Don't worry he said after the fact. I could have punched him for not telling me this in advance.
    A few days later, a charming and persuasive attorney called to ask what I wanted and how we could take care of this very unfortunate matter. I half believe he hypnotized me over the phone; he was that charming. I told him; he said he would do his best to get exactly what I wanted. He asked me to agree to a continuance, which I agreed to. Pro tip: His goal was to get a continuance. That was his only goal. I didn't know then. Keep that in mind. They do not want to go to court. Never!
    In the end, they settled and gave me everything I wanted, including filing fees. It only took a few weeks.

csmith1281, Grijon, Rocks and 4 others Thank this.
  11. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    Not exactly the same. I was injured at work. The insurance company wanted me to sign away all hippa rights, so they can use anything in my medical record against me. The guy on the phone with insurance company made it sound so normal. All my bosses were worried about me missing a day of work= lose their safety bonuses. Talked to a lawyer, he told me hell no about signing.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.