Double Yellow's Company Driver to Independent Thread

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by double yellow, Nov 5, 2014.

1. kwswan

kwswan Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2009
    mcminnville,tn.
    Couldn't agree more,there are some of these cops that are going to find something,no matter how minor it is to screw your day up. I bypass the scales myself when it is a fairly easy detour. My equipment & paperwork should pass anywhere but there is always that one guy who didn't get lucky with the wife the night before looking to take it out on somebody else.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    Yeah, I can see where being a jerk to the cop already screwing your day up would be the smart choice.

csmith1281 Thanks this.
  4. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    why do you have a double standard ? If anyone else made it clear they intended to do harm to your business would you cooperate with them ? But the police you will ? And I'm a jerk now for exercising my right to an attorney, my right to free speech, etc... that's a jerk, really ?

csmith1281 and blade Thank this.
  5. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2006
    It's called rocking the boat. Like I said, if they push you, sign the report, but with the "under duress" part. They can't say a thing about that. Don't go demanding a lawyer, unless they start interrogating you, or arrest you, or hold your truck an exceedingly long time. We in trucking know to play the game... but at the same time, cover your rear. Don't push the officer, but letting him know you aren't an idiot is probably to your benefit... just don't get into a law/rights shoving match with him. You'll lose, at least in the short term. Your goal is to get out of there, and deal with what just happened on YOUR terms. if you fail to convince him otherwise.

Above all - KNOW YOUR RIGHTS. Know what he can and can't legally do. And one thing I'm going to be getting is a camera mounted in my truck. A lot of DY's anxiety over this would go away, if he just had to send in a cd of the incident. We as truckers, and as regular citizens, have to protect ourselves.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
    csmith1281, blade and dannythetrucker Thank this.
  6. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    What double standard? Have some perspective. It's a receipt your signing, not an admission of guilt or waiver of your civil rights. If someone made it clear they intended to do harm to my business, I sure wouldn't try to encourage more of it by becoming uncooperative. What exactly do you expect to gain with that? Do you think you're teaching anyone a lesson? Is it going to get you back on the road making money any faster? Nobody cares about your principles, and you can't buy food or fuel with them either.

csmith1281 and blade Thank this.
  7. dannythetrucker

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    See, you don't know me. My goal used to be to get out of there, and to cooperate so that the 'greater good' was served. So that they had the opportunity to find and remove unsafe carriers and drivers from the roadways. They have proven to me time and time again that they are unconcerned with safety, have no interest in unsafe carriers and drivers, and seek to attack my business and livelihood at every opportunity. So getting out of there is not my highest priority, my highest priority is protecting my business. I will not answer a thing without a lawyer present again.

Woobie Thanks this.
  8. dannythetrucker

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    you have no idea what you are talking about. They gave milski a ticket for a leaking dif, even though his dif doesn't leak. They gave DY a ticket because he was at the shipper at 12:30, except he wasn't there at 12:30. They gave me a ticket because a commercial vehicle needs lettering, except I had an in transit to use the vehicle for non commercial purposes.

They are making it up ! Why ? because they know people like you will put on a goofy smile and take it as if you are accomplishing something. You think if you cooperate they'll be nice to you, and if you don't they will throw the book or some such nonsense. Your status quo thinking is outdated, it doesn't work that way. Times have changed, the bad apples have spoiled the bunch. wake up.

The TXDOT bragged that they "can find something wrong with just about every truck that comes in here"

cooperating gets you NOWHERE. those days are over, they're not wired that way anymore.

iledbett, TallJoe, JimmyWells and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2006
    What did you do/say when they screwed you?

10. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    I got put OOS in AZ after an inspection for 5 minutes while I put more air in one tire. Since it was only my second inspection my safety report listed me as being OOS 50% of the time.

We have a dick DOT cop in NH. He put a guy OOS at the toll booth because he was like 10 minutes over on his clock. He was on his way home and only 20 minutes away. There was a state police cop there. He called my buddy who is a cop in my town and has a CDL. My buddy drove up, drove his truck home then the guy drove my buddy back to his car. The DOT cop was totally BS. Nobody likes him.

csmith1281 Thanks this.
  11. dannythetrucker

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    I answered his questions politely, and said, "have a nice day" when he was done. I'm out, look you guys need to wise up, this problem is much bigger than you realize.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.