DPF on older truck??

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by areelius, Aug 1, 2015.

1. areelius

areelius Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Temecula Ca
    I sold my truck about a year ago because of CARB rules. I deactivated my MC #. Now I want to get back in the game. I won't buy a newer compliant truck because of the horrible reliability of the emission system. So have any of you put a DPF on an older truck and not had problems? I am asking about trucks that have been running with one for a year or so. Or if you have had problems, what were they? I plan to get a 2003 or older with a Detroit 12.7, which is what I had before. Never had to repair that engine at all.
    Thanks to everyone for your help, I miss being out there.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    You think that the current emissions stuff is horrible, what makes you think that slapping this stuff on a motor not designed for it will be any better?

flood and Straight Stacks Thank this.
  4. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    Only engines that have an egr can be retrofitted with dpf.

5. areelius

Nov 9, 2012
    Temecula Ca
    I research things before I form a solid opinion. I have spent time out on the road and talked with dozens of owners of the newer trucks, and seen that they are very unreliable. I don't think it is any better to add a DPF to an older truck. I do think that I could recover from a disaster on an older paid for truck much easier than a highly financed one.
    The newer trucks are fine for those who want to go that way. I am not one of those. That is why before I do it, I will spend lots of time on here and elsewhere. I have read many of your posts and your opinion is valuable to me. I doubt very much I would ever buy a compliant truck. First I would just not run in my home state, which would be real hardship.

6. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    yeah, see the point. It is easier to eat the cost if have a cheap, used truck and doing this than going new. I have not heard or read any positive result from one doing it the way you are considering. But do your research and see what others are saying that have gone this route. While I don't go anywhere west of I-25, I still would be interested in how this has worked for others.

areelius Thanks this.
  7. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    I've talked to a couple people with retrofits and haven't heard any first-hand horror stories. Slight mpg hit, periodic dpf cleaning, and eventual replacement, but that's about it. But of course everyone also seems to "know a guy" who had his truck catch fire and burn to the ground...

Any engine 1996 or later is legal with a retrofit.

Diesel Dave and areelius Thank this.
  8. areelius

Nov 9, 2012
    Temecula Ca
    Thanks for that info. Not having EGR is a big advantage since that can be more maintenance than the rest of the engine is. I found a long post by someone who had a lot of knowledge and experience with DPF add ons. I think you were commenting there also. He said the key is to get the right installer. Too many of these are done wrong and start fires. I am leaning toward doing this now that I have heard from several people who know how it went for themselves. My other choice is to drive my car over to Blythe and then try to get a load from that area. That would not be fun. 3 hours just to get to the border of AZ and keep the truck there.

9. Camelclutch

Camelclutch Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Anaheim, California
    I've been contemplating the exact same thing, I agree, limiting ourselves to Blythe or Las Vegas and driving home in a car will cost more money. The DPF will allow us to do loads in and out , thus hopefully paying for itself quickly. And if need be we remove the sob once it gives trouble, or outside of commiefornia state line.That's my plan.Ive talked to so many guys who have been dealing with the new truck problems. I seems to be the lesser of two evils

areelius Thanks this.
  10. areelius

Nov 9, 2012
    Temecula Ca
    Yes. A poor guy just posted that he bought a 09 with an ISX Cummins. Right after he bought it he found a crack in the block. Now he is likely facing losing his truck. These aren't called "Cumaparts" for nothing.
    I feel sorry for anyone who has to face this issue. I want an old simple engine with no filter. If I have to put on a filter, then it better work right or it will be coming off, and I will just drive in and out of Commiefornia in my car, I guess. Isn't it great when enviro whackos decide what is best for the working man.

11. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Areelius,a 09 is not a"New" engine.

areelius Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.