'Drafting' technology for semi-trucks debuts on Utah roads

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by c64basic, Nov 21, 2015.

1. c64basic

c64basic Medium Load Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Frozen Tundra
    click link for full story
    Semitrucks tailgating? No, they’re drafting to save fuel
    Motorists on Utah freeways may have noticed during the past year some semitrucks tailgating oh so closely to other big rigs.

They actually were testing a new high-tech way to save fuel.

The two trucks use radio, radar, GPS, the Internet and other means to connect each other's operations, and accelerate and brake at the same time. It allows them to draft off each other.

In fact, testing on rural Utah freeways this year — allowed by special legislation — found that the rear truck in such a drafting pair saves an average of 10 percent in fuel costs, and the lead truck saves 4.5 percent.

The front truck saves fuel, too, because "there's a tremendous vortex created behind a vehicle that accounts for about a third of the drag on it. But if you pull the second vehicle in close, it destroys that vortex," said Chuck Price, vice president of Peloton, which is developing the technology.

"You see the same thing happening in NASCAR on the racetrack," he said. "Of course, they've started touching and pushing each other, which is a little beyond what we'll be doing with these trucks."

California-based Peloton and the Utah Department of Transportation offered demonstrations of the new technology for the news media Friday along Interstate 80 in Tooele County — where much of the testing occurred this year.

Steve Boyd, a co-founder and vice president of Peloton, said the technology is sort of like using cruise control, but for a couple of trucks whose operations are connected as they travel closely together to allow drafting.

"Our technology does bring trucks together closer than the normal following distance would allow," between 30 and 100 feet, depending on weather, traffic, speed and other highway conditions.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    This is the dumbest #### I've ever heard of.. you sure this isn't from the Onion?

Getsinyourblood and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  4. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    lol, Lets have 4-5 FedEx trucks draft on one and other, What could possibly go wrong ? :eek:

Straight Stacks Thanks this.
  5. Rock 'n Roll Relocater

Rock 'n Roll Relocater Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Near Music City
  6. Straight Stacks

Straight Stacks Paper Cha$er

Jul 18, 2015
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    And the downward spiral gets more dramatic...

Getsinyourblood Thanks this.
  7. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    I don't fear technology, Just the morons that program it.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  8. Rock 'n Roll Relocater

Nov 16, 2015
    Near Music City
    You must be afraid of everything then. It won't be allowed until it's fully tested and proven and when initiated can save big money on fuel. I would do it in a heart beat....

9. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    This sentence gets used alot by the Government. Look how well things have panned out with whatever has followed that sentence.

chico9696, tinytim and mountaingote Thank this.
  10. Rock 'n Roll Relocater

Nov 16, 2015
    Near Music City
    Oh....I get it now. You're one of those. Not everything is about the 'government' and if you don't like or trust technology you really shouldn't even be posting....or be connected to the Internet....or drive a vehicle with a computer controlled engine. Some technology is actually good.....

11. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    You totally missed the point. Just because you are told it will be good and do X and Y does not make it true. Everything is always sold as a "improvement" or "progress" when it turns around and is the opposite people are always baffled.

I never said Tech it self was bad, I did imply its only as good as its programmed. To the point lets say you take a car that is now driverless, it can do 140MPH down the highway and get you places in record time, life is good right ? Then the system locks up and the car does about 30 summer salts before exploding into flames. I don't mind tech but I wont trust it with something that can kill everything around it. I still believe there is value in decisions vs programming.

Air Breeze Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.