Drivers helper-any help would be appreciated(Midwest region)

Discussion in 'Waste Removal and Garbage Truck Driver Forum' started by Ohio79, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Ohio79

Ohio79 Bobtail Member

Apr 10, 2016
    I'm in Ohio and was wondering if anyone could be of any help. I am looking to work as a drivers helpers but have not had much success I put an application at Rumpke(in my region) it's been about 8-10 weeks and the residential drivers helpers position has not been filled(still on the site)Have called a few times but sort of been getting the run around. Although everyone has been nice who I have talked to.

I had 2 interviews with kimble(also in my region) as a line sorter(rather be a drivers helper-they hardly use drivers helpers because of the automatic pickup) I had 2 interviews. Was told I got it after the 2nd interview they sent me a letter that another applicant had gotten it.

I have looked at republic but they hardly have openings for drivers helpers and although haven't looked into waste management that much they don't seem to hire a lot of drivers helpers. The automatic pickup has taken over this position somewhat but NOT totally.

Have looked into local suburbs where I live a lot still use manual labor for waste pickup but most positions are taken already. Any suggestions. Tips/ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Thanks again
    Justin

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Haya Justin; I'm in Ohio also. What region are you in? I may have some leads ~ !

4. Ohio79

Ohio79 Bobtail Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Hey there:

Cleveland,Ohio. Any help would be so greatly appreciated. I didn't realize this process was going to be as difficult as I thought.

5. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    http://www.indeed.com/q-Driver-Helper-l-Cleveland,-OH-jobs.html

there's this; but let me check around. I'm south of you near Mansfield, and I haul asphalt out of Toledo. Have you ever heard of Shelly Co. / Shelly Liquid in Toledo? I know it's not "real" close, but depending on where you are in CLE, it may be worth looking into. It's my asphalt company, and man, if you got into tanking... its where the money is and easy loading/unloading . . . check the tanker forums~!!
    I'll keep checking for ya, fellow Buckeye!

also, there's always this (best resource man on the forum!) asking . . . @Chinatown

Hang in there, man and do your research. What's your age and experience? Could help us help you more. Keep searching the forums; much to read.

6. Ohio79

Ohio79 Bobtail Member

Apr 10, 2016
    I'm about to head out the door. So I quickly looked at your company. Nice. Will look more later. Don't know much about the asphalt industry.

I am a little familiar with Mansfield/Ashland area. Have gone skiing at snow trails. And have gone done that way for various events.

One thing I noticed about the Mansfield area is Rumpke seems to be doing a lot of hiring in that area. Just curious but do you know if they have expanded in that area??

I'm 36. For the last 5 years I had a dog waste removal company(it's just like it sounds :) I owned it. I did okay but it was a one a man operation I serviced for counties. Lake, cuyahoga, summit and geauga. But it became too much and the winters hurt business. And I wasn't trusting enough to hire other people. Maybe foolish Not to do that on my part.

I have an online eBay retail store I do okay with it but it's just not enough. Thanks for the reply. I just got on the board so will explore more when I have time. Thanks bro!!

Justin

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  7. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    I had a trash hauling route in late 70's and 80's in Johnsville myself; sold it and went into telecom until THAT got sold overseas. I was an OPS2 tech and a switchman out of CMH, got laid off, and back into trucking. Yes, Rumpke is VERY big here, as is Milliron and WasteManagement! Both are always hiring~!!
    Keep in touch; I'll help how i can!

8. Ohio79

Ohio79 Bobtail Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Thanks man for all the good info. Good to know there are such nice people around.

Justin

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  9. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Not a problem, Justin. You're totally welcome :) I know what you mean, there's so much "ugly" in this world anymore. Me and @TROOPER to TRUCKER try to avoid the negativity that's thrown around here and elsewhere, and keep it real. (So do many other members; don't get me wrong. We just make it our mantra!)

Antoher really good (and small-ish) Ohio Trucking company you may want to look into is Fab Express. They have a few different terminals, all mainly in Ohio, but headquartered in Chicago. They're are an Italian family-owned business, and my wife knows some of them personally here in Mt. Vernon. Not a lot of reviews on ANY forums about them (we've looked) but hey, that's usually a GOOD thing! LoL :)

They are single-screw daycabs; no OTR (that I know of) and haul 53' dry vans with corrugated (boxes) to Heinz, Smuckers, etc... all over the state. Napoleon, Fremont, Cincy, off the top of my head. If I were to leave tanking, I'd be "in like Flynn" for sure. (And weight usually / never becomes an issue with that type of freight.)

Good luck; keep me posted!

Tom~

ps: If that were to work out into anything for ya, leme know!~ I'll give you some names ;)

swaggerjacker Thanks this.
  10. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Call a local company sponsored training program,and grab a cdl.
    Employment for life...hopefully.

11. Rythetruckernewson

Rythetruckernewson Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Cleveland ohio
    W
    What type of drug screen does rumpke do

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.