Driving on 1099, how does this one sound?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Gunner75, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Ok so i was contacted about a job offer with a small local Fleet of 15 trucks. Drivers are paid on 1099, all expenses and fuel are paid just like a typical company. Driver takes home 30% of the load plus all accessorial pay like tarp fees and detention pay. Owner requires 2yrs flatbed, clean driving record, no accidents in past 3 years, and no dui ever. Will assist in figuring out taxes plus deductions. His wife is a licensed cpa and offers her services at a significant discount. Provides all equipment. Has 3 contracted customers with agreements with several of what he calls the (better brokers) out there. Drivers option of elogs via big road or paper logs until elogs mandate. Says his drivers who go home weekly sinceJan 1 are averaging $1486 on the lie side to $1795 on the high side, and drivers who go home biweekly are averaging from $1600 on low side to deferral getting as much as $2100. Is this even plausible or just a pipe dream? The set up i would be getting is an 08 9900i with a 13 speed 475 Cummins and a 53ft fontaine step deck. Tarp fees are $100 for lumber tarps, and $45 for coil bags. He says once in proven to him that I'm a safe driver, he will start me on some of his oversize and vehicle loads.

For insurance, my wife had insurance through her work.

Lepton1 and KriegHund Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    I say that sounds about right, have couple of buddies doing the same thing pulling about the same numbers. Now watch W2 crowd coming in and your thread will turn into 1099 bashing thread

TripleSix Thanks this.
  4. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    Ok I'll start it. Why would you even consider working for a fleet that does not withhold taxes and probably doesn't have workman's comp insurance? Get hurt and you are on your own. Too many good companies looking for drivers today to accept a job offer from a company that expects you to pay over 15% in FICA on your wages, instead them paying their half. Next.....

5. carramrod32

carramrod32 Heavy Load Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Midwest
    Hey @Gunner75 after that last owner you drove for why would you consider something such as this? BTW did that guy ever pay you what was owed?

HalpinUout, Toomanybikes and 88 Alpha Thank this.
  6. Gunner75

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    No i still haven't been paid what I'm owed. He doesn't even return my calls, texts, or emails.

As for this thread, this guy emailed me. All i did was update my resume on indeed.com with my tanker endorsement. Its been Been stop calls and emails for 2 weeks

carramrod32 Thanks this.
  7. Gunner75

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    As for considering this offer, I've talked with a couple of this guys drivers in the past. They've all told me that if this guy offers a job then it's like seeing a unicorn because he seldom hires and when he does it's because he's added a new truck to the Fleet and you was in the right place at the right time. He only has 15 trucks

Kinda like one of those places that doesn't advertise

Lepton1 and carramrod32 Thank this.
  8. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    This will be what? Your 4th job in less than a year? Is that right?

Just keep in mind that a history of job hopping makes the chances of getting the best paying driving jobs practically zero

Airborne, David_Simpson and stayinback Thank this.
  9. Gunner75

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Which is why i haven't given the guy an answer

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  10. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Gunner......Spyder is 100% correct.

sit back and really think, Unless of Course, You really don't give a toot about trucking anymore (And I "get it" if you don't). ....

But,If you do...Find a 'good' job you can retire from... The Job Hoppin' is for Kids that don't know whether their coming or going.

51.50 Thanks this.
  11. OnTheEdge

OnTheEdge Light Load Member

Jun 25, 2012
    If you setup a corporation and this guy would hire your corp. than you could preserve more of your capital.

The issue with 1099 is on paper you earn more money, however you could take home less. This is due in large part to the lack of deductions & the additional 7.35% or so you have to pay in FICA.

As a corporation you could pay yourself a milage rate of .30$pm and take the rest as a draw. This would mean you only pay the FICA tax on your mileage rate while only paying income tax on the draw portion.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.