Dry van or reefer?

Discussion in 'Knight' started by j72088, Jan 14, 2016.

1. j72088

j72088 Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2015
    Ok, so I'll be going to orientation on monday and havent decided which side to go to. Can someone state the pros and cons of both and what they would choose?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Another Company??? :D

4. j72088

j72088 Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2015
    Thats not very helpful. Why choose another company?

5. MANXimus

MANXimus Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Curious to hear why "another company" and not Knight?... if you're a newbie trying to get your "1 year" or whatever experience.

Not being facetious - trying to find out more... Knight seemed to be ok to get start-up experience (so far, on the research I've seen).

6. MANXimus

MANXimus Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Based on the digging I've done, I'd rather be in Reefer - seems like longer average loads.
    Which terminal are you wanting to base out of? Doesn't there have to be an opening for Dry or Reefer at that specific terminal to choose? What did the recruiter tell you in regards to how much live-load and drop-n-hook would be for each?

Found this on the next thread over... Start near the bottom of Page 90.
    http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...oing-over-the-road-with-knight.251196/page-90

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
    Reason for edit: add more
  7. whitewolf84

whitewolf84 Bobtail Member

Jan 13, 2016
    Anything. Good from ?

8. kwog

kwog Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2015
    All else being equal, dry van for sure. One less thing to bother with.

9. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    Like he said, check out my thread he linked to. I highly recommend reefer side. There doesn't have to be a listed opening. Just call up the terminal you want on at. Reefer is longer length of haul while dry side is more medium length of haul. I am sure they have long hauls too but medium length is there target. People say wait time and the stress of the reefer unit isn't worth it but I disagree. I have times where I get stuck at a dock but if it does happen my office throws me money for the wait and the longer runs make up for any lost time. Doesn't happen a lot though. I made 65,200 dollars for my first full calendar year of driving. I would say that's pretty good. The reefer unit is not much of an inconvenience. Just make sure to keep it fueled and clean. If it stinks; get it washed out. If you get one close to being due for a service I always check the oil. If it is fresh off a service I don't worry about it.

MANXimus Thanks this.
  10. MANXimus

MANXimus Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Do you run OTR (18-22, 2-3 days off)? Do you know if the "Western 11" would have those longer average hauls in reefer too, or does the average trip go down (I guess I could ask the same question for any 12-14 day Regional set-up)?

Oh yeah... PS -- I know with reefer there can be night driving and/or plenty of night drop-off times. Do you get to pick how you run (like when you stop, what parts of the day or night to run, etc.) assuming you can easily make the drop time and get the job done?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  11. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I wouldn't be able to answer you about western 11. I usually run 0300-1300 or 1500. I would say I can do that 80% of the time. You can set yourself up on a schedule you like but once in a while it will get thrown off.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.