Dually with a flatbed trailer pay per mile?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Bpeterson, May 7, 2016.

1. Bpeterson

Bpeterson Bobtail Member

May 7, 2016
    Is the pay per mile and demand similar to that of an 18 wheeler, if un using a dually truck? Could I still expect around 1.80 mile or would the pay be considerably less?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lfod14

lfod14 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2014
    I can't see how it could be, you can't even come close to carrying the same loads. At that point sell the pickup and by a tractor.

4. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Per mile rates are going to fluctuate with hotshots, just like they do with big trucks. What makes hot shot work more attractive is the lower op cost, if you're set up right. You will not get $1.80 per mile on every load. However you should be able "average" out somewhere in the $1.80 per mile range, possibly higher depending on your experience and equipment type.

Spurs Thanks this.
  5. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    They are not carrying the same loads. They can not. They are carrying lighter loads. Things that need to get from point a to point b. The right freight pays better. Different ballgame. Lower operating cost like flatbedcarrier said.

flatbedcarrier Thanks this.
  6. Not_Here_Long

Not_Here_Long Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2015
    1.80 a mile is cheap that's 90 cents a mile considering loads going back home are few and far between.
    At 1.80 all your going to do is pay expense. now if you can get 1.25-1.50 for every mile you put on an truck that will make you a profit. Hotshot truck aren't that much if any cheaper due to service life is 50% of what an class 8 is.
    the loads are 90% less of what class8 stuff is and brokers try and screw you twice as often, if that's possible.

7. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Reloads aren't few and far between for us. LOL. 99.9 % of the time we reload within a 50 mile radius of where we unload.

And as far as hothots having a 50% life span compared to a semi. There's a lot of hotshot owner operators that would disagree with you on that. These late model Ram trucks go the distance, and they're a lot less expensive to buy new, operate, and maintain.

elamigowapo and CHayes Thank this.
  8. Not_Here_Long

Not_Here_Long Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2015
    At some cheap rate maybe. But you like all that LTL crap picking here, there and everywhere.
    It never amounts to what it's worth time you calculate miles and time spent.
    That's just like someone running one truck and hiring a dispatch service, it adds zero value to your business when you can do it yourself. Gary you still charging guys 1000.00 @ month to dispatch LTL paying loads?
    Did you ever get your broker authority back ?

9. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Not Here Long, You should really get some new material.

You saying LTL doesn't pay makes me, and I'm pretty sure a few others in here chuckle. Here's a piece of LTL we just picked up a few minutes ago. It's paying $1,000.00 on 552 miles. That's $1.81 per mile for approx 12' of deck space and it weighs a whopping 1,700 lbs. So you wouldn't haul that? Sure you wouldn't buddy. ;)

image.jpeg

Last edited: May 13, 2016
    CHayes Thanks this.
  10. MP-Ctek

MP-Ctek Bobtail Member

May 26, 2016
    We have a manufacturer that we do alot of LTL loads with, that pay an average of 3.00 per mile. Not sure where the false RPM's for Hotshots come from. This manufacturer has to rely on hotshots because semi's can't get under the train bridge to his warehouse. Example: If you order a lawnmower from John Deere, Amazon, Ebay etc;, who's gonna deliver it? A full sized skateboard? Fed-Ex? UPS? Many subdivisions don't have room, or even small city streets for that matter for a 18. We go to alot of loads and load right beside 48 and 53ft skateboards. Our trucks can average 14 to 16 mpg empty if configured right and 7 to 11 loaded, so why the Hotshot bashing? There is a reason Billion dollar companies choose to use Hotshots. You think there would be as many of us, as there are, if we were loosing money? Of course not. Hotshots take a different approach to moving freight. Drivers who don't understand this approach usually speak negatively about it. None the less, they couldn't be more wrong. We will never put our ProStar back on the road. It has been sitting for over a year. I won't even buy new batteries for it. It reminds me every time I pull in my driveway what I don't want to do.
    Get back in that 80k lb 4 wheeler disprespecting magnet. Not being able to go where I want, when I want, never again! Hotshots are mostly for loads to small for 18's and too big for Fed-Ex or UPS. Also. a whole lot of expedited and overnight freight. So for the people who don't like Hotshots or understand what they do, or why they exist, or why they see so many of them, contact the US Consumer's and tell them they cannot buy anything else that is too big for Fedex and too small for a 18.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.