E Log question

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by timmytorco, Oct 22, 2016.

1. timmytorco

timmytorco Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2016
    looking for clarification on truck requirements for an
    E-log. I'm looking at a 2000 Ihc 9400i. It was maunifactured sept 99 which makes it a 2000 model year. Everything I can find on logs said that anything manufactured before 2000 is exempt. This truck has a ddec4 I am under the impression it is elog exempt. Am I right? Thank you for the great forums and all the great advice available here. This site has been a huge resource in my decision to become and O/O.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. timmytorco

Jun 10, 2016
    Looks like this truck will be safe, either way, I have several mechanics saying the truck is too old for telemetry between the ecu amd the truck.

4. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Sorry to burst your bubble but no your truck is not safe. The Overdrive article scooter posted is old, from 2015 when the rule was first announced and the FMCSA has issued guidance to clarify they intend to use model year to determine exemptions. Look at the last 8 digits of your VIN, if it is Yxxxxxx then you have a 2000 model, so even though it was made in 1999 it will be required to use elds. I am in the same boat, I have 2 trucks built in Nov 1999 but they are model year 2000 so I will need elds next year. Below is a link tothe FMCSA website FAQ page for elds, this specific question was about glider kits with pre-2000 motors and even they will need an electronic log.
    https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/faq/if-cmv-equipment-and-components-are-older-2000-vehicle-exempt-eld-rule

Here is the link to the table to decode your VIN to determine if it is going to be exempt.
    https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/faq/how-can-model-year-cmvs-be-found-through-vin

timmytorco Thanks this.
  5. timmytorco

Jun 10, 2016
    Well, I guess I miss-read it. I haven't bought the truck yet and I guess I won't knowing that. It's a deal breaker.

SheepDog and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. brian991219

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Yeah, I thought it was going to apply to build date when I bought my latest 2000 model truck, then they issued some clarification and I feel bad because I would have went with a 99 if I knew. Overdrive published a follow up to the article above but I can't find it and OOIDA has spoken about it many times on their Land Line Now show. I am really hoping it goes away again in court, but doubt it will this time.
    Good luck with what ever truck you choose!

Dharok and timmytorco Thank this.
  7. timmytorco

Jun 10, 2016
    It doesn't sound good. The bad part is the truck has a brand new motor and I have known the shop for 20 years. Am friends with owner and mechanic. They don't sell junk and they stand behind their used trucks.

8. brian991219

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Dang hard to pass it up. I think eventually they are going to force it on all model year trucks, since they are requiring them for the gliders even with the pre-2000 engines, they will find a way to make us all have them soon enough.

9. Coolbreezin

Coolbreezin Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2016
    Florida
    There are numerous types of e-logs out there. My company uses Big Road, which is an app you use on your phone. If you have an electric engine they connect the e-log to theplug under the dash. I have a 1991 with a 3406b engine. I have no plug in the dash and absolutely no electronics on the engine. The app is on my tablet and it pings me as I drive around.

SheepDog Thanks this.
  10. timmytorco

Jun 10, 2016
    I don't want an ELD. If I have to buy a mechanical truck to get away from it I will. When they mandate those I'll have some serious thinking to do about a career.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.