Electrics went haywire 1998 International 4800 Please read Any advice would be great

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Futant_1, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Futant_1

Futant_1 Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2015
    In a 1998 International 4800 4x4 I went to start it about 10 minutes after it was just running and the electrics went crazy in the cab. I turned the key to and the gauges pegged out. Went to start it and nothing. Checked lights, thought maybe the battery, gauges were going crazy. I turned the turn signal on and the interior overhead light started flashing instead instead of the cluster light. Headlights, turn signal lights, strobes, reverse lights all work when they want to. It on beeps once when the key is turned. Use to beep several times. Sometimes it will turn over for a second when I try to start it. But then stop and nothing. All that started after I replaced a turn signal bulb in the cluster. But it started and everything was fine immediately after that. Did the cluster go out when I changed the bulb?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I doubt it, sounds more like something got partially disconnected in behind the dash, or something is partially pinched in there.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  4. Futant_1

Futant_1 Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Thanks. I'll look closer for more damaged wires or anything. I have the dash back apart and the cluster loose so I could check behind it for any visible wiring or connection problems. All plug-ins were tight and no pinched wires from what I saw. I left it apart, hooked the battery back up and turned the key. Same problems. Could a malfunctioning PCM cause those problems?

5. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Common on the international trucks, they had HORRENDOUS electrical systems.

First check your grounds, when they go bad the electrical will back feed truck other circuits and make things go totally nuts.

6. Futant_1

Futant_1 Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Yesterday I took the dash apart. Checked all wiring connectors and anything that had a wire going in it. Then I took the shifter dust cover and dog house off. Checked all those wires and connectors. I checked all the wiring on the frame rail to the back. Then I put it all back together and all the lights started back working. But the starter won't turn over. I thought maybe silinoid. Banged on that, still nothing. No clicking from the silinoid. Clicking coming from the pcm. And the batteries are dying quickly now. Next chance I get I'm going to meter the silinoids to see if power is going to them. Any opinions from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Just sunk $20,000 into getting the bed and hydraulics redone on it. It not running is killing me.

7. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    Did you disconnect the batteries before pulling the cluster? Sounds like something shorted out.

8. Pool6710

Pool6710 Medium Load Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Minnesnowta
    Check the red wire on the battery to the ECM

9. Futant_1

Futant_1 Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2015
    I did disconnect the battery before I did anything with the wiring. I have not yet really checked any wiring under the hood. I had to walk away after it not starting when I checked the wiring in the dash. I didn't check every single wire for continuity. Only all connections. I visually checked the big wiring harnesses for damage that is behind the cluster. I also checked the circuit board in the cluster for any weak solders. Saw nothing wrong. When I start back on it I'll check all wires under the hood, going into the pcm, and I need to get a wiring diagram for the truck from somewhere.

10. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Those cabs are known for leaking water at the corner of the windshield and running down onto the fuse/breaker panel near the key switch. There are also some relays there. Look in behind and see if there is any green/corroded terminals in the fuse panel.

11. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I had a 2006 Century, it started to get unusual readings on the gauges and the cab lights would flicker.
    Turned out to be the ground for the cab to the frame.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.