Electro-Voice 602T noise cancelling microphone

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by rabbiporkchop, May 4, 2016.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    The 602 had four elements in them, the F version is a noise canceling directional element with a 5k top end and a 2000 hz top end noise canceling capabilities. The FL is a emi/rfi element to prevent interference from radio and is like the F version. The T version if I remember right is the noise canceling directional mic element with 5k top end response which has noise canceling below 1500 hz. The E/EL version are omni-directional elements with a 7k top end response and above 2000 hz noise canceling - this is more common in PA systems.

The M109 is like a 602 but is more or less a NSN designation.

The 602 series high impedance mic usually has the three wire cable while the low impedance has the four wire cable. There is a catch, MOST of those four wire cables are double shield audio cables and do not have the common ground (need to be rewired) that the common poorly design CB has. IF at all possible, you could use the four wire double shield mic cord, do so but that would mean actually modifying the radio.

I don't get the tuning of the radio that would make it sound better. The audio strip is set until it is injected into the RF, so tuning may not matter. Modifying the audio strip would be a better choice but that's me.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    The US602fh has a transformer to make it hi-z which can be removed to make it Lo-z.
    In my Personal Collection I've got every different version except for that M109 a/u which I've never seen before. I know the DC resistance of each element is identical at 150 ohms. The old Bakelite version of the 602t has a totally different switch inside which makes it useless for Cobra radios.

4. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    This goes for all of them.

You may think you have every version but I bet you don't have a G or LH model. I know you don't have a VR model. They produced something like 70 different types of mics based on the same engineering.

No there are elements that are in the 200 ohm range. What Telex/EV/Turner/ETC. ... did in the past was obsolete models and parts, superseding them to another model. In the case of elements, they would produce a production run of an element for one model and add to the number for estimated replacement parts. SO to explain it if they made 25,000 mics, they would estimate through past parts sales to see what number of elements they would need to have in inventory to service those mics. So say they made 25,000 then they would need 1500 elements in inventory for replacement parts for that mic production run. When they ran out, they would use a newer element as a replacement.

Each mic has a different characteristic to it, so as I said there are some with a 5k top end response and others with a 7k.

That may be true I don't know. I abhor the way these CBs are switched, it is a poor and cheap design. The old simple three wire switching or three wire switching with balanced audio was much much better.

5. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    in regards to 3 wire switching that's all these export radios require is shield audio and transmit are the only wires required for these export radios .
    The number 4 pin is strictly optional unless you want to use it on a cobra radio in which case its essential for the receive circuit to function.
    My AKG D 58 uses only 3 wires and works fine on the Magnum s9 although the audio level is noticeably lower than with my EV602 microphone which is one reason I'd love to learn how to wind Transformers so I could make one for my AKG

6. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Well that's the problem with these radios, poor design.

However, if you don't understand why your d58 has a lower level, then you need to learn a thing or two about mics and impedence. Your point of a transformer goes away with the understanding how they work, the difference between balanced and unbalanced (that is what the low impedence ev mics are setup to be) and how to actually get good audio out of a radio.

By the way, the d58 is an ok mic, it isn't the best or worst of the mic world, I would not use it. Just because it is a paging mic, does not mean that it is an effective one. I have used on my am gear one of a few mics, the best is a $1.59 mic that replaced my heil disaster. The other ones range from a broadcast RCA 44a to a Marconi 46ex.

7. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Here is how you would wire the switch assuming the audio wire is permanently connected which simplifies the switch wiring. [​IMG]Disregard the receive wire unless you are running a Cobra radio

8. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    The first thing you need to do is figure out which cord you want to use.
    Then you want to strip some of the outer insulation to expose the wires and figure out which wire has bare Shield wrapped around it.
    Whichever wire has shielding around it that will become your audio wire and you can solder that wire to the number 2 pin on your plug. The Shield wire you can solder that to the number 1 pin on the plug. And then from the remaining wires you can pick a color any color just remember what color you chose
    And attach one of each of those remaining wires to the other two pins on the plug. And then on the inside of the microphone The Shield wire will attach to one of the wires coming from the microphone element and also to the switch the center pin on the switch that connects to the outer pins on the switch when you push in and when you release.
    The two microphone element wires will connect between the shield wire in the cord and the audio wire in the cord. So before you attach the shield wire to the switch you can take one of the element wires and attach it to the shield wire before you insert it in the hole on the switch and solder both of those wires directly to the switch and the other element wire you can solder it directly to the audio wire in the cord.
    There is an unused portion of the switch which could be used to switch the audio when you press the button if you choose and if you choose to do it that way you would need to run a jumper wire from The Shield over to the unused portion of the switch and then you can attach the other element wire to the contact that makes contact with the place you attached the jumper wire but that makes it a little more complicated I'm trying to make it as simple as possible

9. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I opened up my oldest Telex RK56 from my collection and this is what I found inside. I had the switch replaced about 8 yrs or so ago cause the spring had broke. Telex RK56.jpeg

10. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Inside look of my SRA 198[​IMG]

11. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    If you gently lift the cable strain relief from the case the Transformer is held in place with hot glue underneath.
    It has 4 wires yellow and red
    black and brown

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.