Epes drivers...do you take the per diem option?

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by DocWatson, Jun 24, 2015.

1. DocWatson

DocWatson Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Jersey shore
    Epes drivers

I'm currently finishing up orientation. They discussed the weekly per diem option with us today. I've never heard of getting paid our per diem rate in every paycheck. Usually that is something I do tax time when I file. Sounds like a great program though.

Have you taken advantage of this? I have a few specific questions regarding this but I won't ask until I see whether anyone is doing this.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. VaGump

VaGump Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2013
    pennsylvania
    It does nothing for YOU. You get per diem by law, based on how many days you were on the truck that year when you file your taxes. Taking per diem, that income is pre taxed so your net is more every week. but it's still income that you have to pay taxes on at the end of the year. all it really does is save the company from having to pay more on their employee payroll tax. it benefits the company but does not really do anything for you

DocWatson Thanks this.
  4. flyingmusician

flyingmusician Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Jamestown, NC
    Look up lonelyguy from the Epes thread. He's current there and can fill you in on the details. He's done it both ways.

They changed the program since I was there but I saw no real benefit from being in it other than more money each week than getting back more at tax time. My gross at the end of the year was dismal for tax purposes.

If you do take it be #### sure to approve your logs every day or you won't get it. It's the way they have the system set up now going through an outside 3rd party processor. I've heard from quite a few guys there now that either weren't told that or didn't hear it. As a result they continued doing things the way we always did and approved them at the end of the week.

They didn't get the per diem pay by not approving their logs each day and had to jump through a bunch of hoops with payroll to get the retro pay.

DocWatson Thanks this.
  5. RoadCall

RoadCall Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2012
    What happened to that big thread on Epes, was it under Favorite Companies?

DocWatson Thanks this.
  6. flyingmusician

flyingmusician Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Jamestown, NC
    No it's just under general carrier questions not favorite carriers.

If you do a search in it it's way back several pages. It's been dead for quite awhile since all of us who posted regularly there have moved on.

DocWatson and RoadCall Thank this.
  7. DocWatson

Jan 21, 2010
    Jersey shore
    Yes they did tell me about approving my logs every day before 12 noon. Not sure why that time was chosen as opposed to midnight but that's what they told me. I elected this option but I'm now leaning towards just doing the per diem at the end of the day. I may find an accountant to run it by.

When I asked them about the negatives of selecting the company per diem they stated that my gross income will show to be less at the end of the year which could affect me getting a loan. I have no idea what all the means but I'm going to look into it.

Whereby I was told at orientation that we get the per diem money now on each paycheck, I was recently told that we don't get it now but that it is reflected on our paystubs now to make it easier to file our taxes later. So who knows.

8. DocWatson

Jan 21, 2010
    Jersey shore

Ok, this is what I was getting at. I'm sure the company must benefit somehow from this program and what you said was what I was looking for. There has to be more to this program. I don't need the money right now, my regular paycheck is enough to cover my expenses and then some but I wonder if this program appeals to the natural greed in all of us to have it all now.

Thanks to all for the responses.

9. Bigfoot3638

Bigfoot3638 Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Per diem is determined by miles driven. Example: You're paid 40 cents a mile-- 30 cents is taxable, 9 cents is non taxable per diem, and 1 cent is the fee your company charges you to manage the per diem program. You just lose the 1 cent. The 9 cents is not listed as taxable income on your W-2. If you have 200 days plus away from home each year you probably would benefit using the DOT standard allowance of around $64 a day instead of the per diem, you might be able to opt out of the per diem program. You can't combine the two though.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.