Expense Spreadsheet of 2010

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Turn3, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Turn3

Turn3 Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Pacific, Missouri
    No, I have not. I am thinking worst case and that the brokers will not give enough to cover it and by the time the check comes in the mail we'd have filled up 8 more times.

This brings up a good question... what is the fuel surcharge based off? They are paying rates less than the pre-Katrina/Rita times when fuel was $1.60gal. So what is the new bench mark? Fuel is currently $2.50-$2.70 but yet the rates are $1.20 to $1.40 per mile.

This this my biggest fear in all the numbers we have to work with... the unknown.

Thanks again for all your help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wobbles

Wobbles Light Load Member

Turn3...I'm less than 50 posts so can't respond to your PM's.
    Re my 90,000 miles. I count every miles as a revenue raising mile. If the money isn't there to cover all miles I don't take the load. I use the big picture and keep a rolling tally of revenue/miles ran for the period I go out for. Sure, some loads will pay $1.00 a mile but others will pay $1.80. Averages is what its all about.
    My truck is a 05 Volvo 450 ISX and I have a 53 dry van. My average net per every mile in 2009 at Landstar was approx $1.02. At that rate I was able to maintain the truck well enough but it only left me about .19 a mile to the nut behind the wheel. I now have my DOT number and am currently in the 10 day protest period.

I expect your $1.51 a mile average is doable but I am low balling my expectations for 2010 and will be ok with $1.30 as a motor carrier in my own right as a minimum for ALL miles. I doubt I will be in this for the money but want even more "FREEDOM" than Landstar gave me. Yes, a bit more paper work and maybe chasing the checks but at this point I have not looked at factoring. I have plenty of working capital so hopefully I wont need to factor.

Don't get too wrapped up in the FSC BS as an independent. Lots of brokers don't f*** with it. Prices quoted are all in. Does it really matter how you get to a dollar amount for the trip. A penny is a penny no matter how you got it. If the revenue doesn't give you rate you will run for, negoiate or head for the door.........

Turn3 Thanks this.
  4. Turn3

Turn3 Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Pacific, Missouri
    Wobbles thank you for the reply and answering our questions.

We actually ran it with $1.20 being our minimum rate and the $1.51 is the average of the rates we have been getting from the load boards the past couple of days. I know these are fluid numbers and I wish I had the crystal ball.

That is what I figured you were driving, that is what our 780 with the ISX530 was getting.

Thanks again!

5. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Well... if you can negotiate a surcharge - its all good! Our fsc is a little low, but our fuel net runs about .20 cheaper per gallon on the average than the national. Should be somewhere around 23 - 30 cpm right now.

Really, the game is bottom line. Whoever can run the cheapest until the rates start back up is going to be the last man standing. Don't let the lower fuel prices fool ya - running slow and stingy will put more money in your pocket than going fast. I see the same fools fly by me two or three times a day... that means I get to the same places cheaper than they are, even though they're going faster.

6. Turn3

Turn3 Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Pacific, Missouri
    Wobbles, my wife says you are awesome and she thanks you for your honesty and openness.

ironpony... when you say "our" net are you talking the state of CO or your company? When you say 23-30 cpm are you talking operating cost or FSC?

The Challenger Thanks this.
  7. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    I drive a reefer for Prime. Our fuel surcharge this week was set at 23.5 cpm... up a little from last week - the average paid last week was 4 or 5-cpm higher than the official number. The fsc amount is not necessarily as high as other outfits, but our fuel costs are based on a fleet average through our network. It tends to run around $0.20 less per gallon than the national average.

8. Gears

Gears Trucker Forum STAFF - Gone, But Not Forgotten.

Aug 20, 2009
    I was talking to a leased driver from CR England while in Chicago a couple weeks ago. He told me his fuel was priced at some crazy low number like $2.25 a gallon or even lower. What's up with that?

9. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    $2.25 sounds like a couple of months ago - price increases affect even the fleets. The larger fleets negotiate volume discounts with the large truckstop chains. Since the fleets can direct their company drivers wherever they please, they can assure a minimum volume to justify the lower prices.

10. Turn3

Turn3 Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Pacific, Missouri
    The fuel card company, are they the ones that set the price? So whatever the total is at the pump the driver just signs and the billed fuel amount is different?

11. Big Red

Big Red Lonestar

Nov 11, 2007
    Fuel surcharge SHOULD be based on fuel at an average of about $1.20 a gallon, and a truck that gets 6 mpg.

Fuel around here is about $2.70 a gallon, so the surcharge...if offered would be about .25 a mile.

After talking to several drivers...I know a lot of companies that offer surcharge base their surcharge rates on the cheapest place to buy fuel along the route instead of the average. Some even base surcharge on fueling at the companies yard instead of out on the open market. Greatwide does this, according to the last driver I talked to.

Turn3 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.