Exploring options

Discussion in 'Prime' started by Erik Blazer, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Erik Blazer

Erik Blazer Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2015
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Good afternoon my fellow truckers. I'm currently wrapping up my first week in school. Just got my permit Wednesday! <wootwoot>

Still have about 2-3 weeks left before I will go test for my CDL.

I had a TMC rep come in, they were my original choice, but this rep has lead me away from the company. Long story short, I got the gist of "if you doubt your eligibility, then you'll be denied anyways" kinda soured it for me.

With that said I am mainly looking to do Flatbed and tanker. I dont really like vans all that much. As a new driver is prime an ideal company to work for? I currently only have 3 moving violations, 2 of which fall off in February. 2 speeding and an improper Lane change.. Cop was a jerk on that one :(

The equipment that's in the prime trucks already makes me want to look past the "top of the line peterbuilts" <- some may get my reference lol

I prefer to talk to the people who run the trucks rather the people who are paid to make the company look good.

Thank you to all and all a safe travel :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. darthanubis

darthanubis Heavy Load Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Depends on what you consider "ideal".

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Good luck with that MVR; it's more serious than you think. Look at several options and submit several applications. It's unlikely any tanker company will hire you until those tickets drop off or get some time behind them.
    Keim TS - sometimes cuts some slack on less than stellar MVR. Nice trucks with studio sleepers.
    Jones Bros. Trucking
    Western Express - last resort flatbed company.

5. Erik Blazer

Aug 7, 2015
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Yeah, as a 18/19 year old with a cammed Trans Am didn't help my cause. I never knew how much a MVR was worth till now that I am trying to get my CDL.

Ideally I'm looking for a company that is going to make me money and not monkey me around. I did 3 years in the Army and that was my fill of waiting to do something haha. I have heard of a few companies whol will send you out of the way to do something and I turns cost the driver money. Again I am still new to this so I am taking everything with a grain of salt.

Most of the local tanker positions in OKC want 23years of age and 2-3years of OTR experience. I don't mind starting at the bottom, but I'd love to at least do something that I would enjoy.

I have thought about doing driving classes after my school to see if I can get some of these tickets to drop off.

6. n3ss

n3ss Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2013
    If Prime or TMC will hire you, go for it. I made pretty decent cash in my time with Prime. If i had stuck around, 2nd year would have been great. First year you get to pay for all your flatbed equipment (+ tire chains and anything else you might need), which is not cheap. I can't really speak about any other companies,l but I had a good experience with Prime. I'd recommend it and I'd go back if I decide to drive again.

7. Smooth_Operator

Smooth_Operator Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Just start applying to as many companies as you can and take your pick.

Not trying to be a dick, but the bearer of truth and "just 3" moving violations is a lot.

If anything you may have to go for a lesser company for 6 months. That way 2 of those incidents will fall off and with 6 months your options start to open up a bit.

darthanubis Thanks this.
  8. realdesertkickin

realdesertkickin Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Tustoned Arizona
    That MVR is death....Too many clean drivers out there!! I wouldnt even try for a job untill those 2 you mentioned drop off...You'll find a carrier you'll end up hating with current MVR..
    Beyond carrier even, the insurance co will almost always say 'no' to a 3 banger...Add in your age?...
    I think your screwed at the moment, temporarily!!

Based on that, Id take any crappy job that came along just to keep your wheels turning...I wouldnt be picky till after feburary

darthanubis Thanks this.
  9. realdesertkickin

realdesertkickin Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Tustoned Arizona
    And whats going on in your avatar? Are you rebuilding your next speeding ticket!!!! LOL

You are, and you know you are!!!

darthanubis Thanks this.
  10. Erik Blazer

Aug 7, 2015
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Lol that was actually the beast I got in trouble with. 500horses at 18-19 years old was a bad idea haha. I'm not sure if it matters, but only 2 are speeding both under <10mph and the other is a "improper Lane change" I should of fought it to be honest but I gathered pay it then try to fight with them.

I know the 3 are alot, it just kills me knowing that they are effecting me so much, a student that has been talking to me stated he had 6 tickets. I had the jaw drop moment lol. I am still going to try and apply for prime. Now are they a lease only company? I don't particularly want to lease a truck

11. n3ss

n3ss Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Prime isn't lease only. You can lease if you want to, it's generally not recommended to lease from any company, especially as a new driver.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.